VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,315 Posts
Star Wars (not so)hot take... Kylo Ren was totally miscast and nothing in 3 movies changed my mind on that.

Should have been a relative unknown. Adam Driver is a fine actor but I don’t personally think he ever fit the role.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
After watching ep 9 last night, the theatre of people 19+ in age was dead silent. I was certainly underwhelmed by the plot, a director can only do so much to rescue a mess created by multiple writers, directors and film studios.

If I had recommend a new viewer to the whole Star Wars franchise, I would say watch ep 4-6, Rogue One and ignore the rest

Sent from using Tapatalk

Same experience. Saw it opening night in a packed theater, no reaction from fans, no excitement or cheering. Only a bit of crying/sniffles when (Spoiler) Chewie "died"

·
Registered
983 Posts
Same experience. Saw it opening night in a packed theater, no reaction from fans, no excitement or cheering. Only a bit of crying/sniffles when (Spoiler) Chewie "died"
And then JJ wimped out in spoiler, so those viewers probably felt mixed emotions about the film too. What a cop-out. I dunno, I might watch it again in a few weeks, but I don't see my opinion likely to change about the episode.

Sent from my moto using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Saw it at the Air and Space Museum IMAX last night, not the greatest movie, a few stupid moments, but overall I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
I thought it was an entertaining popcorn movie with technically outstanding special effects. The plot was lousy but that's hardly unusual for a blockbuster popcorn movie. I figure the Disney money machine will bring back Adam Driver from the dead and we'll have a Daisy Ridley/Adam Driver sequel with the Finn/Poe bromance and Baby Yoda written in for the Spaceballs-level merchandising. They'll CGI in Carrie Fisher with archive footage once again to wreck the movie.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
hey, you are in good company. Even my buddy who teaches Media at Texas Tech thought it was awful.

But I’ll never stop thinking modern Star Wars hate is ridiculous. They are silly movies about Space Knights after all.

:beer:
Well, they are and they're not.

I guess they are right up until you start bringing Joseph Campbell and the monomyth into it, and start talking about how what you really wanted to do with the films was give 12-year old kids a moral education. And also deliver a parable about Nixon and cold war-era Imperial America and how those spunky Vietnamese really gave the what-for to those evil GI-Joes. And a fable about how democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away. And also how George W. Bush was obviously an evil Sith lord, because if you're not with him, you're against him. And as absolutely everybody knows, absolutely only the Sith deal in absolutes.

"They're silly movies about space knights and talking dogs and also the psychological template that guides your subconscious through the milestones of your individuation. And also a commentary on American politics intended to help you make the Right Choice in the voting booth. Take that, Nute Gunray! Happy childhooding! Hope you like the sequels! Here, have an Ewok!"

81 - 100 of 130 Posts