VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track
7,205 Posts
Oy, that's rough :laugh:

(and also hits on a pet peeve of mine: WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS HAVING TO CRASH LAND THE FALCON?)
Because J.J. thinks it looks cool. Except in this movie you don’t actually see it crash, and 10 minutes later they’re flying away in it with no repairs and the landing gear work fine after that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,084 Posts
Because J.J. thinks it looks cool. Except in this movie you don’t actually see it crash, and 10 minutes later they’re flying away in it with no repairs and the landing gear work fine after that. :rolleyes:
The landing gear shares the same circuitry as a Delorean's horn. All you have to do is hit it hard enough for things to work.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,836 Posts
Star Wars plays it so fast and loose with gravity and physics. It’s like Lucas decided day 1 that he wasn’t ever going to deal with it and that’s that. :D

Look at The Expanse for the polar opposite take.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Star Wars plays it so fast and loose with gravity and physics. It’s like Lucas decided day 1 that he wasn’t ever going to deal with it and that’s that. :D

Look at The Expanse for the polar opposite take.
That’s not what we’re talking about. The Falcon has crash landed in two J.J. Abrams movies and zero Lucas movies.

It’s not about the movie physics, it’s about J.J. and his silly contrivances that don’t make sense. There are no consequences for anything. The Falcon crash lands and 10 minutes later it’s fine. Chewie dies and 10 minutes later he’s fine. 3p0 gets memory erased but later he’s fine. Ben dies but he’s immediately Force healed. Zorii Bliss’s planet gets blown up and she can’t leave because she gave the officers medallion to Poe, but later she and cutesy poo droid mechanic show up and they’re both fine.

I might overlook it if it only happened once in the movie, but it happens again and again and again, so it robs any of it of any emotion. There are zero stakes, you just know they’ll be fine later. Except Ben, who dies at the end but there’s no weight to it because you’re left wondering if he and Rey will just sit there healing each other all day. Oh he disappeared, whatever.

·
Premium Member
35,836 Posts
I understand that. My point is that I think the ignoring of gravity and physics is all part and parcel with the Falcon crashes. None of it matters.

Even in the Mandalorian the Jawas tear his whole ship apart then he and the Ugnaught put the whole thing back together easy as Legos.

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,028 Posts
Even in the Mandalorian the Jawas tear his whole ship apart then he and the Ugnaught put the whole thing back together easy as Legos.
The Mandalorian does what the movies (aside from Rogue One) fail to do; create meaningful stakes. I forgive that sequence you mentioned because it had to show a montage of reassembly within the constraints of a TV episode that lasted, what? 35 minutes?

·
Premium Member
35,836 Posts
Fans of the latest movie really want to minimize all of Star Wars to the level of this movie. :laugh:
Not really, I’m just drawing some parallels across the universe to how little they care about the physics of all of this in the Star Wars universe. Garage time, crashes, gravity, physics of any sort really, it’s all mostly downplayed regardless of the director, Lucas included.

I get that you hate RoS. I get that you are annoyed that I don’t. I certainly didn’t love it, I just think the hate is overblown, and that we really shouldn’t be taking little digs at each other over our differences of opinion either way.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
The ship doesn’t crash land because of physics, they literally say the landing gear don’t work. Until 10 minutes later when they’re fine and they take off and land again with no further trouble or repair or anything.

In two previous Star Wars movies, the hyperdrive breaks and it must be fixed. With tools! It’s a thing in the story that ties in and is resolved.

In this movie the landing gear break and after that they’re ok and no one mentions it again, and the ship is completely undamaged.

That’s not physics, that’s just stuff that doesn’t make sense or resolve in any way. And so much of the movie is like that! Random crap that doesn’t resolve or is unnecessary or confusing.

You liking the movie isn’t annoying. You dismissing all negative opinions as “hate” is annoying.

·
Premium Member
35,836 Posts
As for the Falcon landing gear details you outlined, I guess it didn’t imprint on me like it did you.

Which sort of underscores why we seem to be at odds on this one, you care a lot about those details, and it effects how much you can enjoy the movie, and that’s fine. I clearly didn’t. And that’s fine too.

I guess we just need to agree to disagree.

:beer:

·
Senior Sloth
2,679 Posts
Finally going to see it tonight with my sons. We know the spoilers and how it ends, but we've got enough invested in the whole dang thing, so seeing the end on the big screen was warranted.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
The Mandalorian does what the movies (aside from Rogue One) fail to do; create meaningful stakes. I forgive that sequence you mentioned because it had to show a montage of reassembly within the constraints of a TV episode that lasted, what? 35 minutes?
Yep. In fact, I'd say Mando almost goes too far in the other direction because they flat out killed off two of the best characters in S1.

I have spoken.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
saw it last night. wife wasn't a fan of it, but I liked it... for what it is - a Star Wars movie. It's not Citizen Kane. It's not Se7en. It's not Wall-E.

Yes, there are flaws. To the argument above about physics, etc.: you've always had to suspend your belief. Even from the very first movie. The gunner pods in the Falcon, for instance.

but here's the problem with the Falcon crashing in this movie: it's completely unnecessary. Because the Falcon can hover. In TFA, they came out of lightspeed on Starkiller.

Another guffaw moment was when Finn and Lando's lovechild jumped aboard the Falcon and were casually walking on it as it was flying. :rolleyes:

Rey's heritage was weaksauce.
Fan service was pretty good for only a few moments.
The PG-version Burning Man festival? Really?
A lot of story packed into the movie, which left things unfleshed and under-developed
Palpatine is basically GladOS now?
And who the hell were all those people in hoods (I know, Sith, but really?)? Living on what looks like a rock planet, what do they eat? And why were there thousands? Was this a clone army? Dark Force army?
Who's flying all those ships? If a Starship Destroyer takes 2000+ crew, there were, like 200+ ships. They can get hundreds of thousands of troops there at the drop of a hat? Impressive.
The Final Order fighters are two tortilla chips linked together?
The Final Order fleet is a rip-off of the lost fleet from the Thrawn story.

I told my wife last night that these movies would never live up to expectations because people have 40 years of exposure to the SWU, have read books, loved certain characters, etc., and everyone has their own opinion on what would make the movies better.

People love The Mandalorian because they have no expectations of it. I think it's actually a slow story that isn't offering anything of consequence, other than world-building of the SWU. Yes, the child is cute. But we barely know anything about it, still. Apparently in the SWU everyone forgets things super quick. It's only been 5 years or so since ROTJ, but everyone's forgot about The Force? What about Boba Fett? How about we see Mandalore?

·
17,761 Posts
Put it this way: if I were watching a movie where the heroes’ car lost its wheels and wrecked and a few minutes later they jump in and drive off and the car is just fine... yeah that would definitely bother me.
Were you ever a fan of the A-Team tv show? :laugh:

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
It’s not about expectations, it’s that this movie was a choppy rushed jumbled mess. It was objectively a badly edited movie, without even touching any Star Wars expectations.

There were six character death fake outs in this movie. Six!

Chewie is dead, oh wait no he’s fine was just over behind this hill.

3p0 memory wiped goodbye friends! Oh R2 has a backup he’s fine.

Kylo Ben gets stabbed wait no he’s healed by Rey.

Zorii Bliss gave Poe her Imperial coin that allows her and cutesy poo tiny guy to get off planet, she can’t leave now and the planet gets blown up, wait no she’s in her spaceship later, she’s fine, she just got off planet anyway somehow.

Ben gets yeeted into the pit, wait no he’s fine, he climbed out.

Rey gets killed, wait no Ben heals her back she’s fine.

I think the knife subplot should have been left out entirely. It would have left a big chunk of the running around out of the movie and provided more time for character scenes and interactions to breathe and have emotion.

I’ve been seeing rumors that J.J. had a 3 hour cut of the movie that made a lot more sense, and Disney execs meddled in things and had the movie edited down for a shorter run time. We may never really know. :(

·
Senior Sloth
2,679 Posts
Saw it last night with my sons. I had really low expectations since I followed all the hub-bub and spoilers. I have to say that I really enjoyed it and thought the ending was a nice way to wrap everything up. Like others have said, I have a few issues with the movie. But I was entertained and I love the feeling of being "in the StarWars Universe".

That and Keri Russell :eek::heart: and Rey in an X-wing fighter pilot helmet :eek::eek::heart:

·
17,761 Posts
It’s not about expectations, it’s that this movie was a choppy rushed jumbled mess. It was objectively a badly edited movie, without even touching any Star Wars expectations.

There were six character death fake outs in this movie. Six!

Chewie is dead, oh wait no he’s fine was just over behind this hill.

3p0 memory wiped goodbye friends! Oh R2 has a backup he’s fine.

Kylo Ben gets stabbed wait no he’s healed by Rey.

Zorii Bliss gave Poe her Imperial coin that allows her and cutesy poo tiny guy to get off planet, she can’t leave now and the planet gets blown up, wait no she’s in her spaceship later, she’s fine, she just got off planet anyway somehow.

Ben gets yeeted into the pit, wait no he’s fine, he climbed out.

Rey gets killed, wait no Ben heals her back she’s fine.

I think the knife subplot should have been left out entirely. It would have left a big chunk of the running around out of the movie and provided more time for character scenes and interactions to breathe and have emotion.

I’ve been seeing rumors that J.J. had a 3 hour cut of the movie that made a lot more sense, and Disney execs meddled in things and had the movie edited down for a shorter run time. We may never really know. :(
Yes, we will. Roughly 6 months after the movie is released on disc.

Also, the Imp coin didn't allow Zorii to leave, it made it easier to evade capture by the Imps.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts