VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so you have to admit that it was more exciting to watch than most of the past seasons with all the crashes and spins and such. i am one of few people to be lucky enough to own an f1 car for personal fun. last year i bought an f2004. i keep it in italy. i had the traction control setup recently taken out as well as engine brake assist. as with anything, practice makes perfect and my times are up there and the ferrari personal talk very highly.
the season opener was a dissappointment for ferrari but as luca de montezemolo says, a little dissappointment is good for the team. we will be back. all racers tried and all back field racers that would be given chances to drive top cars would also be good. barrichello was always up there with ferrari and now he blows red lights in a slow car. but ross brawn will work out the kinks in time. as for mcclaren, i like heikki and would love to see him win but i think he is a little afraid to do better than hamilton because of fear within the team. the team are all about hamilton regardless of what they say. it is interesting to see that when kimi was on mcclaren the car always had problems, always. but his first year away from the team the car is amazing world wonder and they make it seem like hamilton made this happen. everybody wants to succeed in their given profession but nobody needs to hear every article, magazine, tv, game whatever, that hamilton is the worlds most talented bravest smartest etc etc..... it is played out now and boring. there are other drivers. hamiltons response to australia. it was a joke a breeze. i could of gone faster but why bother....... thats not egging people on thats just being big headed and an ass.........lets talk f1 people.............

Modified by rscshakespeare at 7:39 AM 3-17-2008

Modified by rscshakespeare at 7:40 AM 3-17-2008

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Re: start of f1 season 2008.... let's talk......... (rscshakespeare)

I think you might be misinterpreting the context of his comment regarding the race being a "breeze". Perhaps I interpreted it differently. To me that comment was a thank you to the team for building him a car that he did not have to worry about or struggle to drive at a winning pace throughout out the race. On top of that, he admitted that his pre safety car pit stop was very lucky versus that of Heikke.
"i could of gone faster but why bother"
Again, why push his car, tyres and tranny if he doesn't need to. To me, that is a sign of his maturing as a driver. Yeah, perhaps his wording might have been better but so what. Too bad he didn't say that to himself during Fuji last year. He would have won the championship. It's okay for Kimi to say that leading a race pole to flag is boring but when Lewis says that there was more in the car than he needed to win, that is a problem.
I think someone on this forum said it best, hate the hyper not the hypee. Hate the British press for deifying Hamilton.
"but his first year away from the team the car is amazing world wonder and they make it seem like hamilton made this happen."
I never got this impression. I also don't think that Heikke is laying off because he is afraid to challenge Lewis. I just think that Lewis was faster than the field. Heikke couldn't keep him in sight.
My two cents.
Stan...

· Banned
2,380 Posts
Re: start of f1 season 2008.... let's talk......... (Blaspherion)

Seriously? You own a F2004? The last Schumacher championship car? The last of the V10s?
Lewis' "breeze" race was more like luck. The Ferrari driver's issues had nothing to do with him and pitting right before the last safety car came out was hugely helpful for him. Had he came in the same time Heikki did he would have been caught near the back of the field in much the same way and Heidfeld would have won it. He said the team takes SC periods into consideration with his strategy, but there is no way to get it right down to the lap. That was luck, just like Canada 2007.
That was a bunch more interesting to watch then the last few years though, although I hope to see more cars finish the race in the races to come.

· Registered
7,542 Posts

Where or how can one find fault with Hamilton performance from his very first weekend of racing, and a weeks worth of media blitz? Taking comments out of context, can surely make for an eschewed discussion.
Heikki was doing just fine in 2nd, and 3rd and challenged, lead, and even retook the lead...but the fact is Hamilton drove near flawless and cruised to a victory. That has nothing to do with luck.
If he felt he could've gone faster, he could've. Whether he be successul at it, is a different story, but I'm sure life preservasion came into thought on that.
It's way too early for the panties bunching...

· Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

cheers stan. you comments make sense. perhaps i heard them differently than you. but thats what makes us different people. i do not hate anyone in particular, but the press ram it down your throats that hamilton is this hamilton is that and make it seem that no other human on earth has these qualities. the truth is also he grew up in the team so he should be comfortable and quick but there are also many younger racers waiting for their chance and the big shots in f1 say that there is not many to choose from and therefor they keep the same ones around. thats nonsense. about heiiki, if they have the same cars and both push very hard i do not see that hamilton is so much quicker. but end results always show hamilton far away from the field. i think he chooses to do qualy in very very low fuel so he sure to get to the top and then break away from the pack and then will have time to refuel...............

· Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: start of f1 season 2008.... let's talk......... (TazioNuvolari)

tazio, its true i own a f2004. i hear what ou are saying. i just find it interesting that hamilton always seems to catch the breaks so to speak. it just so happens they knew a safety car was coming so they made sure to get him in............. once safety car is called the pits are not permitted to fuel. unless i am incorrect. i thought this is the rule................ it just seems very interesting to me that they were able to call lewis in at all points just before the safety car was called and no other team was aware. you can plan a strategy around safety cars but as soon as one is called you cannot fuel only change tires i believe and they seem to scathe by all this..........all discussions aside, it was more fun to watch......

· Registered
7,542 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rscshakespeare »
kidstar, you are 100 percent correct. i am just having good discussion. not trying to stir any trouble. i like to hear other peoples points of view........

Well, you happen to be the first, who've made it clear, or at least that they are not. Those discussion will always have my attention, for its leveled, with equal parts of conversations and less bias. However, one's opinions are inevitably their's.
The comments below, from both MCL Drivers, and to me there's no indication of skullduggery here. Alonso was just a cockhead, and I can understand that, as hard as it already is...you don't become a repeat champion without some ego.
Lewis Hamilton
“I feel fantastic – what a dream start to the season and my championship challenge. I am sorry not to have Heikki with me on the podium as a one-two would have been a great reward to the team. It’s nice to have Nico here though as we have not shared a podium since our Karting days with Team MBM (Mercedes-Benz McLaren). It was a super race which I controlled from the beginning. I was able to drive at a steady pace without feeling any pressure which is always the ideal situation when you are leading. The three Safety Car periods meant that there was never time to relax and the whole situation was a bit like Canada last year when I claimed my first victory. We constantly had to change our strategy and the strategists were on the ball throughout which was super. The car is fantastic to drive and the team has done a superb job. I have prepared much better this year than last and it’s important that myself and the team continue to push hard in the months to come.”
Heikki Kovalainen
“Obviously my competitiveness was better than the result shows. Unfortunately the last Safety Car phase prevented me from finishing second. Nevertheless I enjoyed the whole weekend working with the team on such a professional high level. My start was OK but during the first stint I had a bit of graining on the tyres but it didn’t affect me too much. In my second stint and especially in the last part of the race my car was really good and I was flying. I had a great battle first with Kimi and then Fernando which I really enjoyed. I managed to get past Fernando but then as I tore off a visor strip on the main straight I accidentally hit the pit lane speed limiter button and Fernando managed to get past me again. I am pleased but also a bit disappointed as we were looking strong for a one-two finish today.”

· Registered
1,354 Posts

Y
i think he chooses to do qualy in very very low fuel so he sure to get to the top and then break away from the pack and then will have time to refuel...............

Yeah but Lewis didn't pit any earlier than the majority of the two stop cars. That to me indicates that his fuel load wasn't significantly lower than the rest of those that qualifyed in the front most grid spots. Kubica pitted before Hammy and their qualifying times were very similar obviously.
For the record, I agree that the hype over Lewis is ridiculous but I also think he is a gifted driver who is learnign and maturing with every race weekend. I firmly believe that he has a great future ahead of him. I have been a fan since 2006 GP2. I also think that if Ferrari wise up and replace Masa with Vettel, we could see another remarkable young driver make some serious waves. Heikke is also quite talented. I am going to enjoy watching his season.
In a way, I am glad that for the time being Alonso is not seemingly much of a factor. It takes away some of the media attention from that rivalry which I also think was ridiculous.
In a nutshell, I am extremely excited about this season. I am also extremely excited that McLaren seem to have come together as a team and focused on running races. Good on them in light of the media scrutiny and controversy surrounding the team.
Stan...

· Registered
1,354 Posts

Oh yeah, regarding his qualifying on low fuel, we all know that it bit himin the backside at Silversonte last year. I don't suspect that they want to do that too much this year.
Stan...

· Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

stan. i agree. i am excited as well about the season. being german, i do wish bmw have a great year. that would be fantastic. heikki i wish to win as well. i am very much a fighter for the lower teams. it makes it more interesting. with massa signed to 2009 or end of 2009 i guess you can rule out a vettel swap unless ferrari power says massa you are done. we shall see. lets hope malaysia is action packed and we see some other teams, bmw williams etc. up there for top points......... all the best. t

· Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

my brother lives in minneapolis. i do not know where exactly as i have yet to visit him there but he is an emergency pediatrics doctor at one of the hospitals.......

· Banned
2,380 Posts

I wouldn't count Massa out yet. He had a terrible first two races last year as well, Australia through a technical problem, Malaysia through driver fault. Yet he came back and did pretty well the rest of the season. He did win three races, and would have won four had he not played team player in Brazil. He definitely would have been in the WDC hunt if it wasn't for technical problems (and Canada). It very well could have simply been a bad race for him, which happens to everyone.
That said, contracts in F1 have been known to be less then binding. If I were Ferrari looking for a new driver, I would be interested in Mr. Eyebrows Alonso. He is practically jumping up and down yelling "pick me! pick me!" As long as Alonso goes in knowing Kimi is going to be tough competition, I think he can get along well on the team. That way the red cars would have the only drivers in F1 with a WDC.

· Registered
6,851 Posts

lets be serious now, the race wasnt any indication of how the season is going to turn out. hamilton who is known for starting races light on fuel, which attributes to his ability to set fast lap, but at the same time you cant discredit what kimi did on a rediclously heavy fuel load to start the race, and if it werent for rubens holding him up on the first stint, he wouldve never had the off before his first stop.
it wouldve been interesting to see him chase down hamilton, cause i still think that kimi is the fastest man in f1. hamilton will be one day though.
malaysia is going to be interesting, it will be the true sign of where everyone stands for 08.
and vettel will be sporting the colors of the prancing horse real soon

· Registered
6,649 Posts

i am one of few people to be lucky enough to own an f1 car for personal fun. last year i bought an f2004. i keep it in italy. i had the traction control setup recently taken out as well as engine brake assist. as with anything, practice makes perfect and my times are up there and the ferrari personal talk very highly.

Give us some solid proof, or i call bullsh1t, especially after a brief search of your topics shows you play with Mk2 VWs

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Re: start of f1 season 2008.... let's talk......... (dubsix)

Quote, originally posted by dubsix »
Give us some solid proof, or i call bullsh1t, especially after a brief search of your topics shows you play with Mk2 VWs

Funny you should post........exactly what I was thinking. Well......kinda.

I was going to be much nicer and merely request a few photos of the beast in action.......with the OP in full gear.

I'd love to see pics.....when the OP has an opportunity....... of course.

Despite his total disregard for any form of PUNKtuation, I'll give him the benifit of the doubt.

· Registered
5,570 Posts

s i am one of few people to be lucky enough to own an f1 car for personal fun. last year i bought an f2004. i keep it in italy. i had the traction control setup recently taken out as well as engine brake assist. as with anything, practice makes perfect and my times are up there and the ferrari personal talk very highly.

Keeping with the spirit of vwvortex, I'll say it first. This thread is worthless without pictures.
Saying you own an F2004 is rather impressive, and being the car & F1 nuts we all are(and the nature of message boards in that every 1.3 posts is an outright fabrication), it would be fantastic if you would upload some pictures and/or video of you with your GP machine.
Please don't be insulted and think that I am insinuating that you are making your story up. Just understand that in this medium, people will have large amounts of skepticism about you owning one of Schumi's last title winning GP cars without some corroboration.
Keep in mind that there are 16 yr old kids on the internet who 'own' Bugatti Veyrons, Ferrari F430 Scuderias, etc, etc.
If you really own a GP car, bellissimo & fantastico! Well done, pisan. Just show us something so we can really believe you.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
7,542 Posts
Re: start of f1 season 2008.... let's talk......... (veedub87)

Quote, originally posted by veedub87 »

If you really own a GP car, bellissimo & fantastico! Well done, pisan. Just show us something so we can really believe you.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

...you mean "paesano"
Love it... Indulging the man...
What if he does and flops y'alls jaws?

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Re: start of f1 season 2008.... let's talk......... (Kidstar)

Quote, originally posted by Kidstar »

...you mean "paesano"
Love it... Indulging the man...
What if he does and flops y'alls jaws?

Hey Kid,
You know I don't have an ex-F1 car, but if (and that's a BIG "IF") I did, you and everyone else on the 'Tex would know.
Hell, I have a rinky, dink go-kart and eehhhvary one knows!!!!

Need a reminder?............Thanks, I don't mind if I do.

Oh, and everyone also knows what my daily driver is. Need a reminder?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3036194

Did I mention how much I love pictures?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.