VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girlfriend just leased a 2022 Taos S with 4 Motion, DSG, and some other add-ons. She got the car yesterday. Today on two different occasions while she was at a stop, the auto stop/start feature turned the car off completely and displayed a message “Please start engine manually”. Forcing her to have to put the car in park and push the start engine button. She wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary and had her seatbelt on and door closed. She also didn’t touch the shifter or anything. This is definitely not the way this is supposed to function as it can definitely cause an accident under the right circumstances. I checked all over the web and can’t find any solutions. My initial thought was the battery because the power levels play a big roll in the auto start/stop function. Also came across some forums where people said it could be a faulty battery. We’re bringing the car back to the dealer obviously, but wanted to know if anyone has more information about that message “Please start car manually”. If VW integrated this message into the car, then there has to be a documented situation that triggers this response from the car. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Attached a pic of the message it displayed.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Girlfriend just leased a 2022 Taos S with 4 Motion, DSG, and some other add-ons. She got the car yesterday. Today on two different occasions while she was at a stop, the auto stop/start feature turned the car off completely and displayed a message “Please start engine manually”. Forcing her to have to put the car in park and push the start engine button. She wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary and had her seatbelt on and door closed. She also didn’t touch the shifter or anything. This is definitely not the way this is supposed to function as it can definitely cause an accident under the right circumstances. I checked all over the web and can’t find any solutions. My initial thought was the battery because the power levels play a big roll in the auto start/stop function. Also came across some forums where people said it could be a faulty battery. We’re bringing the car back to the dealer obviously, but wanted to know if anyone has more information about that message “Please start car manually”. If VW integrated this message into the car, then there has to be a documented situation that triggers this response from the car. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Attached a pic of the message it displayed. View attachment 107505
Sorry I don't have anything helpful to offer. This is a pretty unsafe situation, and I hope VW is able to come up with some answers for you quickly. Between this and the supposed DSG programming issue, the Taos is starting to feel a little undercooked.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
any updates OP?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a 2019 Jetta that had a similar scenario. I was luckily in a drive-thru when it happened, but I had the same awful feeling it could be an accident cause if it happened on the road. My Taos has been on order for 5 weeks. Still waiting.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I
Never heard of this before. Maybe VW could do something with the jerky shifts on the DSG too while they are at it.
I don't understand how vw after having DSG cars for 13/14 years are still dealing with jerky shifts. It's so bad that Audi went back to a "regular" automatic.

I had the DSG in my 2008 R32 and I never had any issues, but others did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just purchased our TAOS SE yesterday and today it had the same problem. Came off the interstate and pulled into a fast food lot parking space. As soon as the car came to a complete stop, it shut down and displayed the message " Please start engine manually". I do not recall if the Start/Stop feature was on or not. It is a FWD.

·
Registered
2022 VW Taos SEL AWD
27 Posts
Just purchased our TAOS SE yesterday and today it had the same problem. Came off the interstate and pulled into a fast food lot parking space. As soon as the car came to a complete stop, it shut down and displayed the message " Please start engine manually". I do not recall if the Start/Stop feature was on or not. It is a FWD.
Contact your dealer. There is a Stop Sale on the Taos right now because of this issue.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Contact your dealer. There is a Stop Sale on the Taos right now because of this issue.
Yes, but the stop sale is on the AWD from what i understand. This person has a FWD. Guess it might be a larger issue!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's definitely affecting the FWD's as well -- I am speaking from experience and it has happened to me on three seperate occassions. The recall needs to apply to all TAOs and it needs to be fixed -- this is a dangerous feature. Please call and report it to VW corporate and take your car to the dealership and demand a loner until this is fixed. Please realize how dangerous and unaccpetable this is!!! Imagine driving on a highway in stop and go traffic and your car turns off and takes 10 minutes to turn back on!!! Learn from me and demand it to get fixed before you're in a terrible situation!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts