VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went through the first stage of making a short runner intake for my 2.0T....
I'm using the stock lower intake mani to save money, because I currently have none.... I got Velocity stacks on the way.... here is what I got so far....

Did a little porting today, cut the mani... I'm going to port out the bottom slightly more, and cut the tabs off the ends where the injector screw down is..... Than I gotta wait for my VS's to come in
Hopefully I can get this done be the end of Feb...on top of building our Baja car.... what ya think?
if any one got pictures of any SRI's they have made, I wanna see em... I'm trying to utilize my stock fuel rail too.... but i'll have to see about that

Modified by GTijoejoe at 10:50 PM 2-4-2007

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Re: Started my First Short Runner Fab today... (GTijoejoe)

Nice, I'm planning to make one soon for a 8v crossflow, well an ABA too but mounted longitudinaly
. I'll also use the lower portion but will make a custom D-shaped plenum.
Here's some preview... was just to see my idea, then I'll adjust dimension.
http://www.foxspeedshop.com/fa...e.jpg

Modified by BlackFoxer at 11:10 PM 2-4-2007

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Started my First Short Runner Fab today... (Agtronic)

Quote, originally posted by Agtronic »
You sure cleaned it up well! It sounds weld nicely! Can't wait to see updated pics!
Thanks for posting!

That intake mani was so dirty, I was suprised how clean it got with a wired brush on a hand grinder....
I'm not quite sure how "much" the VS will give, but def. worth it while building a short runner.... It should allow equal flow to the runners better, and higher velocity flow as well.

Modified by GTijoejoe at 1:13 PM 2-5-2007

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Started my First Short Runner Fab today... (vanaman)

I got a question......
I'm making my plenum square..... should I have a round pipe coming from the square plenum and then to the T-body like I see oh so often.... I'm betting that the round pipe is to help direct flow into the plenum from the turbulence from the T-body....
Is true? or is there some other reason?

· Registered
8,355 Posts

I always thought the reason people put a pipe was to place the TB exactly where they wanted it ... But your theory makes a whole lotta sense!

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Started my First Short Runner Fab today... (Agtronic)

Well I'll probably just put a slight pipe on the end of th plenum just incase my turbulence theory is correct, plus it couldnt hurt.. and so I don't have to tap the plenum wall for a TB..... aluminum and steel bolts don't mix well for the most part...
THanks guys..... I wanna finish this thing so bad...... The bad part is that I still need bigger injectors so I won't even be able to push the envelope when its done....

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Short update for my second stage in progress.....
Got my VS in today, and cleaned up the lower mani a little bit more and ported it slightly more as well....
slow but still progressing.... now I can start to get some real work done...

· Registered
10,069 Posts
Re: Started my First Short Runner Fab today... (BlackFoxer)

Quote, originally posted by BlackFoxer »
Nice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Finally where did you order the velocity stack?

Yes, I am also curious

Looks nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Started my First Short Runner Fab today... (BlackFoxer)

velocity of sound... they are AWESOME! and they have SOOOOOO many VS, and they are still expanding.....
Look in here real fast....
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3029478
They came pretty fast from Australia, but they should get to you of course quicker..... I had a issue with there system double charging the shipping through paypal and they fixed it extremely extremely quick.....
Great people....

· Registered
10,069 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTijoejoe »
velocity of sound... they are AWESOME! and they have SOOOOOO many VS, and they are still expanding.....
Look in here real fast....
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3029478
They came pretty fast from Australia, but they should get to you of course quicker..... I had a issue with there system double charging the shipping through paypal and they fixed it extremely extremely quick.....
Great people....

Ha, yeah... I searched your name and found the velocity of sound link. There site has a TON of stacks!
About how long did the shipping take?

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Started my First Short Runner Fab today... (leebro61)

I order it on the 5th... and it came yesterday when i made that post.... so about a week 7-10 busniess days, or perhaps less

the stock mani's are Aluminum http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Alrighty, well i'm just looking for some insight on a slight problem with the short runner.... I'm pretty much 70/30 split but, perhaps some other opinions will help me think more clearly.....
If you look at the last picture I posted above at the velocity stacks, take a close look at the bells. Now look closely at the inside runners (2 & 3), the bells actually will touch ( and run into eachother) if I try to make the runners straight.....
so my options:
1) Keep the bell tops whole, and put the runners at a slight angle from the runners in opposite directions.... So runner 2 is leaning towards 1, and runner 3 is leaning towards runner 4.... now the angle is very very slight, maybe 3 degrees at the maximum... tho this would be slightly more tricky to mill (the bottom plate that is), and I will have to figure out exactly how far I want the VS's in the plenum.
2) Keep the runners straight, and take off slightly less than 3/16" from both bell sides (flat of course) and put the VS bells sorta together in a way to make them fit....
I'm leaning more towards option (2) because it will be easier to make, and I don't think the bells intersecting should make that big of a problem, theoretically if the bells are split evenly they should still split the flow where they meet....
So shed some insight

also on another note i perhaps found an answer to my previous question that none of us knew that posted so far..... the question about the pipe extension from the plenum to hold the TB is sometimes used as a "ram pipe" which limits the flow velocity which the plenum will see, so you can keep your velocity below 180 ft/s....this is used in certain types of mani's not all.
Tho the significance is in the pipe diameter... I didn't find anything on the actual length.

Modified by GTijoejoe at 1:05 PM 2-17-2007

· Registered
258 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTijoejoe »
2) Keep the runners straight, and take off slightly less than 3/16" from both bell sides (flat of course) and put the VS bells sorta together in a way to make them fit....

I would go this route. I have a similar situation on a project I have going and this is what I planned on doing. I think it will be a lot neater. i don't know that having the bells on a slight angle would affect anything, but having them all sit flat within the plenum just seems like it would be better. Make your base plate first and then keep removing material on a nice belt sander or whatever until they meet up perfectly.
Good Luck, looks like a nice project. VOS are very good people http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.