VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill try to keep this short.
yesterday the car wouldnt crank, when i turn the key to start i got a click, and nothing else. one click, then nothing. i figure something has let go on the starter.
today i pulled the starter and tested it using the battery and jump leads. i get the click and the shaft moves and rotates.
now im confused. i did clean the terminals on the starter but seeing as though i was getting hte click before it must have been getting power. the starter does spin slowish, but im not sure what speed its meant to spin at with no load.
give me some ideas before i bolt this back in and it still doesnt work.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: starter confusion (dino01)

The solenoid on the starter is probably not fully transferring. The lubricant on the solenoid plunger will "gum-up" after many years of usage, causing the plunger to drag inside the solenoid housing.
Remove the solenoid housing from the starter; clean the plunger and its bore; lubricant with a light coat of oil; and reassemble the solenoid housing on the starter.
In an emergency, I have used a small hammer to tap on the solenoid housing to get the solenoid plunger moving. The real fix is to clean the solenoid. Cheers, WWR.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts