VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my thermoswitch needs swapping and my radiator needs flushing, I'm finf naly going to address the issue of my starter while I'm cold, wet and filthy.
For the last six months, I've been driving a fox that I requires 10-15 tries of the ignition before it turns the flywheel. That's just the kind of stupid crap I do.
I'm PRAYING that it isn't the flywheel.
I'm pretty sure I just confirmed that it isn't the solenoid. Instead of busting out the volt meter, I had my gf turn the ignition while I felt the starter motor. I'm pretty sure I could feel it rattling (grinding?) as it made its terrible noise.
Please weigh in with that logic I love you guys for, the kind that would never occur to me.
Is it my flywheel?
Do I /really/ have to remove that engine mount to swap the starter?
Why does it keep on working day in and day out the way I've been using it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Re: starter motor grinding, working 1 out of 15 turns of the ignition, I need guidance (wehrfuchs)

You don't have to touch the mounts, or anything besides the starter, and wiring. Its a little tricky to maneuver out/in but it will come out. If you already suspect the starter, I'd just pull it out, and see whats going on. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to pull.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
And while you're down there, take a good look at the bushing pressed into the transmission, the one that supports the end of the starter shaft.
If that bushing is NFG, then that could be your entire problem.
As to why it keeps on working, it's a friggin FOX. They give Timex a run for the money.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Re: (turbinepowered)

I just changed out the starter a few weeks ago. 3 bolts and it comes off. Actually, mine only had 2 bolts on since the third was slightly harder to get to, so whoever changed it last didn't bother.
Can you get a good enough view of the flywheel teeth via the timing hole?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (turbinepowered)

Just removed the starter, no teeth look bad on it or the flywheel (though I'm not sure how to spin the flywheel), a bunch of gritty crap came out, though that may not have been inside.
The bushing looks fine. The starter looks fine.
Is there another solenoid that pushes the starter gear forward on its shaft to engage the flywheel? It seems like there must be, as otherwise the gear doesn't look like it would reach the flywheel.
Any ideas?
Thanks as usual!

Modified by wehrfuchs at 4:23 PM 4-29-2010

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Re: (ziddey)

Yep yep, straight from the dealer. Don't let them charge you too much over the listed discount price, 5 bucks or so is ok but don't let them rape you
As for the starter bushing, if it does need to be replaced, this is some good info to look at...click here
GL

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, not sure how one gets the discount prices, needless to say I'm interested.
For now I pulled the starter from what is turning into my "parts" fox, and it went on and went to work like a charm.
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.