VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another day. Driving my wife's van home, she left it on walk. Get home to find that my car won't start. Turn the key, seatbelts move over, but nothing. "Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot to tell you honey, the car started really slow yesterday and this morning." AAARRRGGGHHHH!
So anyway, I tried putting a charge on the battery. It's relatively new anyway and the interior lights seemed fine, nice and bright. So, I left it to charge anyway and decided to check the connections on the starter. There was a little crud, so I cleaned everything off nice and shiny and put it back together, no go. Since it's a slaughtermatic, I thought that maybe the park/neutral thingy was bad. I tried bypassing the system by putting power directly to the ignition wire on the selenoid, still no go. I did notice that an attempt to start the car really seemed to drag down the charger. So, my guess is the starter. DAMN!!!!!
Was bypassing the system and directing power directly to the selenoid the right way to make sure it's not the ignition switch or the park/neutral lock-out switch? Besides taking the starter out, any other quick tests I could try? Maybe the starter relay on the fusebox? Just not looking forward to the time and expense of swapping a starter.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Re: Starter shot? (Ron L)

To bad it's a slaughtermatic http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif or you could push start the stupid thing!
It's one thing after another isn't it Ron?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.