VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first question to post here.
The question is this, why wont my starter turn over?
The car is a 98 Golf GL.
It was running great till it landed in a little more than a foot of water after a big storm a couple of months ago. It stalled there, and for the next 2 months it would bog when you rolled on the throttle too quickly. Then on another rainy day it just wouldn't start. I don't want to imply that I think rain is causing any of this, I just wanted to include that information in case. BTW waster isn't getting up into the engine compartment, but I'm guessing the starter was either very wet or submerged when the car was stuck in the water. I've also noticed in the last 6 months that the key ignition has to have a very strong turn before it will start the car. Anyway when the car finally stopped starting there was what seemed to be the smell of burnt wires under the hood, either near the starter or around the ignition coil area (or is that the Voltage regulator that sits on the cowl there near the windshield wiper motor), when the key was tuned to start. Anyway whatever it is its coming straight off the distributer. I have never been able to get the car started since that day. I've tried jumping from another car, from a battery charger that has a 200 amp starter function on it, and once without the battery in the car and with the charger cables attached to the battery cable ends. It was only during this last method that I was able to make the starter solenoid to click repeatedly; but the starter would not spin. Before that I would just get the instrument panel to light up but nothing else. The first time I got the solenoid to click there was also a moderate crackle of electricity from what seemed to be either from behind the key ignition or somewhere under the hood. None of the wires look or feel bad. When I hooked the jumper cables directly to the battery cables I noticed that coil/Voltage regulator thing would click. The key may have been on but it wasn't turned to the starter position. The higher amperage the faster it would click.
So why wont my starter turn over?
What's the verdict?
Thanks ahead of time for your answer.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Re: Starter won't turn over (zombilly)

Well maybe the starter welded itself together. If you get the clicking but no spinning you're either not getting enough power to spin the motor after engaging the solenoid (not in your case) or the starter motor itself is seized in some way. Pull the starter and take it to Vatozone and have them test it if all they get is clicking then buy a new one since yours is fried. As for the bogging out maybe your air filter got soaked one day and there wasnt enough air flow for the engine to use properly causing it to bog out. If thats not the case then you might have gotten water in some pretty nasty places

·
Registered
417 Posts
One common problem with the 2.0 is getting water inside the distributor. This will make your car stall and keep it from starting for a while and could potentially giving that bogging with harder than average acceleration. Also I believe you need a new ignition switch and a new starter. Assuming your grounds are good, your starter is most likely fried.
Do you have a cold air/puddle sucker intake?

Modified by DubCurious69 at 10:08 PM 4-28-2010

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.