VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my VR6 started on the second crank. That was a year ago, before I left to study in Germany. Now I'm back and the VR6 takes about 4 or 5 cranks before in starts. Note my father drove it for me every two weeks (a total of 1,000 miles) when I was gone to keep it in running condition.
when I bought the car two years ago, it had black electical tape on the wire to one of the cylinder. I now have 11,000 more miles on the car since I bought it and have never changed spark plugs and wires
Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Thanks,
Keith

Modified by Corradorennenprofi at 4:10 AM 9-14-2005

· Registered
19,961 Posts
Re: "starting difficulties" (Kenji)

id change the plugs and wires with new factory ones.
never use non factory parts if you can help it.
i would also take the car out to a closed track and beat the living crap out of it to clean it out.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

QUOTE=jhayesvw]id change the plugs and wires with new factory ones.
never use non factory parts if you can help it.
i would also take the car out to a closed track and beat the living crap out of it to clean it out.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [/QUOTE]
The wires are Bosch, I'm not sure if they are the oem ones.
I've heard that you need a tool to change the spark plugs (stick in, twist and pull out)
Where do I get it and what exactly do I have to do to change them, doesn't the manifold have to come off? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks
and oh I've already taken it up to 6k rpm since I've been back, so I think it's been "cleaned out".

· Registered
202 Posts
Re: "starting difficulties" (Corradorennenprofi)

The battery could be weak.
I think the previously mentioned italian tuneup will also do the car good.Throw some FI cleaner in a full tank too(Regane is pretty good).
Alan

· Registered
153 Posts
Re: "starting difficulties" (300B)

If the engine won't turn over immediately and after repeated attempts it finally kicks over...I would look at the following:
1) Fuel management
2) Starter..it could be your bushing

What I would do it run a diagnostic check..see the codes and go from there.

· Registered
4,663 Posts
Re: "starting difficulties" (Corradorennenprofi)

Quote, originally posted by Corradorennenprofi »
I've heard that you need a tool to change the spark plugs (stick in, twist and pull out). Where do I get it and what exactly do I have to do to change them, doesn't the manifold have to come off?

You can buy the spark plug wire puller (as well as the replacement spark plugs) here. Read here for instructions to replace the spark plugs (you don't have to remove the manifold to change the plugs). Good luck.

· Registered
6,624 Posts

I will have an aluminum tool ready soon that will be half that price....
I had tons of tubing that was givin to me, and a good friend does machine work. we should be able tohave them anodized, with a rubber grip handle for about 20.00 a pop. taking orders......
i'll have pics soon when its officially official

· Registered
4,663 Posts
Re: "starting difficulties" (ggrasshopper)

Quote, originally posted by ggrasshopper »
You can buy a metric socket from the store or truck for 5 bucks... ??? You don't need a special tool..just an extended socket.

The special tool is needed to pull the plug wires off of the spark plugs. You can't do that with any socket, extended or not.

· Registered
6,624 Posts
Re: "starting difficulties" (kevech21)

Quote, originally posted by kevech21 »
let me know about the wire tool...i'm definately interested http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

will do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.