VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 passat. Two days ago I faced the first starting problem. It started at first but after two minutes of driving the engine stopped and so I had to pull over to the side of the road. I then tried starting it many times. The engine sound was normal but it wouldn't start. All lights came on so it wasn't the battery. I stopped trying and called somebody to pick me up. Half an hour later I came back the car to get some stuff, it started again. For the rest of the day it worked fine.
This morning I happened again. This time I waited a big wihle but it still wouldn't start. What could be the problem here? Both this morning and the other day were rainy and humid. This morning was very foggy.
Please advice. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Starting problem (Cooper)

No, there's no other symptoms. Everything seems to be normal. The gear indicator doesn't change. It always stays in P.
Update: two hours after when the sun started to come out and the temperature got a little warmer drier, the car started again. I dont know if it's a problem with humidity or not. This is the second time this happened. Any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: Starting problem (d70)

Could be a badly cracked coil pack or dried out plug wires. Let the engine idle at dark and mist water over the wires and coil pack and look for a light show. Just don't be touching the car while misting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will try to check those later. just an update, this morning the car started fine no problem. Drove it for an hour no problem. It seems like it had something to do with the humidity or something because it didn't use to be like this when it snowed inches. i dont know just a guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's BACK again after almost two weeks of peaceful times. Gosh! It rained lastnight and this morning it was still wet. The car didn't start again. It has to be something to do with the wetness and humidity.
I already took the car to a shop and they said they couldn't determine the cause but recommended replacing a bunch of old **** as it might solve the problem. They estimated $1400... mofos. Did they think i was dumb enough to pay them $1400 to pretend to fix my car? Biatch!.
Anyway please advice further. thanks

·
Registered
28,475 Posts
Re: (d70)

Problems with the car starting and running very rough usually points to the coil pack.
When it is dark, go out there with a spray bottle of water, start the car, and mist the area around the coil pack. It may show sparks.
It is a very common problem. Just do a search and many threads will show the JB Weld DIY fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
did it shut off when you where driving? was the engine cranking? those 2 happened to me and it was the wiring harness on the steering wheel colum.

then if it just shut off and cranked same then happened when my fuel pump went out twice lol.
Modified by lvlike at 2:27 AM 5-9-2006

Modified by lvlike at 2:27 AM 5-9-2006

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.