VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all im new to the site just wanting to know if any has had its were there passat wont fire up and just cranks over but its a intermitent fault but it eventualy fires up when it cranking over
my passat is a 98 1.8 20v turbo

· Registered
3,073 Posts
Re: starting problem (md1980)

I had trouble starting my '02 Passat yesterday morning after it had sat idle for about a week. Same symptoms you describe - it turned over but didn't light. I tried again last night, and after holding the start for about five seconds it started up, albeit about 100 RPM higher than normal cold start (about 1200 rpm). I drove it around the block, and parked it again, and when I started it this morning, the CEL lit up after about 90 seconds.
When/if I figure out what the problem is, I'll post it here.

· Registered
41 Posts

I have a similar problem with my 2001.5 V6. It generally starts just fine, but occasionally will crank, start but not maintain an idle. Thought it might have to do with low fuel (initially only seemed to occur when car had less than 1/4 tank, but I've had it occur with a nearly full tank as well). Also seemed to occur when the car was warm (shut it off, run into a store, return and it won't stay running), but recently had it happen after the car was sitting for 8+ hours. It is a very intermittent problem. May not happen for several weeks (or months) and then will happen again. I haven't seen any other fuel-related issues, such as stalling after driving for a while. Anyone have any ideas?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: starting problem (1.5passat)

ive had my car on vag com and thats not given me any faults to work off the only thing it did bring up wa s an intermitent fault on a coolant sensor but i cant see it being that now the only other possible thing i think it may be is the transponder in the key ???

· Registered
166 Posts

I don't think the 98 has a key transponder.
On the other hand a bad coolant temperature sensor will cause rough starts. It sends the temperature to the ECU, so it can adjust FUEL/AIR mix.
Is the car flooding when you crank the engine (i.e. Do you smell gas when cranking the engine ?) If you do, the way to start a flooded car is to step the gas pedal to the floor (so the fuel injectors will actually block) and then turn the key for about 10seconds... the engine will eventually start.

Modified by Passat_BR at 9:10 PM 11-28-2006

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: starting problem (Passat_BR)

mine does have a transponder key may be Uk cars are slightly different
im gonna change the sensor to eliminate it
i cant smell petrol when it cranking over

· Registered
59 Posts

Wow, that is really interesting to know.
Quote, originally posted by Passat_BR »

On the other hand a bad coolant temperature sensor will cause rough starts. It sends the temperature to the ECU, so it can adjust FUEL/AIR mix.
Is the car flooding when you crank the engine (i.e. Do you smell gas when cranking the engine ?) If you do, the way to start a flooded car is to step the gas pedal to the floor (so the fuel injectors will actually block) and then turn the key for about 10seconds... the engine will eventually start.
Modified by Passat_BR at 9:10 PM 11-28-2006

· Registered
42 Posts
Re: (steve2222)

Wow, key transponders, temperature sensors... My 2001 1.5T had a sluggish start this morning -- twice. Initially nothing when key inserted, then board lights up and very "groggy" start. Drove fine. No warning lights (ie, to indicate battery low) and all electrical features work fine (light, locks etc.). I am not a car savvy person -- how can I know if its something as grave as the alternator -- or one of the other things mentioned above without having to pay the dealer $$$? Any advice very gladly taken. Thanks.

· Registered
560 Posts
Re: (ClscFlm7)

Quote, originally posted by ClscFlm7 »
I am not a car savvy person -- how can I know if its something as grave as the alternator -- or one of the other things mentioned above without having to pay the dealer $$$? Any advice very gladly taken. Thanks.

its not the alternator... you would have more issues with power options not working.. and if you drove for an extended amount of time, the battery would drain.

· Registered
42 Posts
If its the key, would I know if I used the spare key? It does seem starter related (or something other than power) in that all the electrical things seem perfectly fine.
Editing to add that I tried starting with the "valet" key and same momentary nothing, then sluggish start with addition of brief rattling from engine before it caught. Am not using the car until I can get it to dealer (Monday) as am afraid of getting stuck. Lord. Starter? Transmission?? Am under 50,000 so should be covered but what could it be so out-of-the-blue?

Modified by ClscFlm7 at 10:33 AM 6-22-2007

· Registered
47 Posts

I have a '99 V6 with what seems to be the same issue--trouble starting. It just began happening. I am also concerned about getting stranded.
I turn the key, the engine just about turns over, and then everything seems to goes dead. I turn the key back off, turn it on again, the engine turns over more and starts sluggishly. Then, it appears to run fine, with no other symptoms.
One thing I've noticed when this happens is that the trip odometer and trip computers all reset to zero and the clock sets to 12:00.
Is the coolant sensor still suspect and/or should I be concerned about a bigger issue?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.