VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw how APR and Stasis got together and are selling the coilovers for our cars now. My question is: Is it safe to have the rear coilover designed like that? If you look at a picture on apr's website it shows the rear coilover as one piece, shock and spring all in one, not seperated like other coilovers ive seen? I always thought the stasis coilovers had them seperated?

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Re: Stasis Coilover Question? (changw414)

Quote, originally posted by changw414 »
I saw how APR and Stasis got together and are selling the coilovers for our cars now. My question is: Is it safe to have the rear coilover designed like that? If you look at a picture on apr's website it shows the rear coilover as one piece, shock and spring all in one, not seperated like other coilovers ive seen? I always thought the stasis coilovers had them seperated?

Without doing any research on the matter I'd say it's a good question. The loads that a shock sees are much greater that those a spring sees (it's max is rate*length). The shock has to resist the springs ultimate force in rebound and much more than that in compression. So I wouldn't think that the difference in static loading would affect it, but now the mounting points have increased shock loading (due to higher damping) as well as the addition of the corner weight. I'd say loads at that point could easily be double what the VW engineers had planned on (especially if the bumpstops are incorporated it the coilovers). Unless they planned on coilovers - perhaps for a motorsport car? I'd have to say like someone else did - ask APR or Stasis. Let us know. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,986 Posts
Re: Stasis Coilover Question? (TripleDuble)

From the pictures they have posted, the spring/shock is seperate in the rear. Its still not a "true coilover."
This is what some people on e36's do for racecars, convert the rear to full true coilovers.

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah, but every set I have seen has seperate springs and shocks in the rear, theres not provision for upper spring perches on those, leading me to believe they are infact not R32 coilovers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.