VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just having to tell ppl about this i was just thinking about getting a new 2004 gti 1.8t and so i called state farm insurance in arizona and asked them how much insurance would be for me. ok after 3 days of waiting i called them back and asked if they figured it out and she said yes, now for the record im 20 years old and have a totally clean record only 1 ticket for parking in a red zone in an appartment complex but anyway for the 2004 gti 1.8t she said it was gunna be $5251.72 FOR 6 MONTHS WHAT THE HELL IS THAT can ppl around my age plz tell me what insurance to go threw and how much you pay this is bunch of crap thats like $850.00 a month hmm lets see a house or car insurance geeee
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Re: state farm insurance haha (kicker300wt)

Im with statefarm too, I call em about once a month to get quotes for different cars and they always give em to me. When I asked about my GTI (2002 1.8T) before I bought it, the guy asked me if I was sitting down...
450/mo (cdn), and I was 21 at the time. But your quote is pretty ****ed up.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I just picked up a 2001 VR6 GTI and when we were at the dealership, my wife called Progressive and got it insured and the guy said that it was only going to take our premiums up 20/mnth, cool. We got our bill and it was $120/month just for the one car, granted I'm not throwing out the bling bling numbers but I still was not prepared for it, with my other cars I am paying close to 250/month for the two VW's and a VIllager Minivan, I'm 30 btw and my last ticket was a assured and clear distance and my wife got a 80 in a 55. I actually thought for about two seconds about selling the car but decided I could work a couple of saturdays a month and offset the payment and insurance. I was thinking about starting a thread about insurance but someone beat me to it. what do you pay?

·
Registered
803 Posts
That's pretty messed up.
I've heard of state farm dropping a 10yr. customer on the spot when he called to insure his new miata. Something about it being a sportscar.
Try Progressive. I've consistantly gotten the best rates from them.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: (ramadoss)

Quote, originally posted by ramadoss »
That's pretty messed up.
I've heard of state farm dropping a 10yr. customer on the spot when he called to insure his new miata. Something about it being a sportscar.

This is bazaar...
My g/f has State Farm in the "Insurance Hell State of New Jersey" and owns TWO sports-type cars. An '03 MINI Cooper S and a '97 BMW M3 2dr. She pays less than $2000 PER YEAR for full coverage on both cars. She's 32 with a clean record.
I live in PA and pay about $1600 for full coverage on my Jetta and the minimum on my van. I'm 34 and have Nationwide, although I get a few discounts for multi-car, long-term (family has 20+ years with the same agent), and home-insurance.
$800/mo is nuts. My mortgage is less than that.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I have a clean record, no tickets, 29 yrs old, and pay
$120 per month for a 2004 GTI Lease, which is the most anyone in PA should ever spend with a clean record on a lease, I used to pay $90 bucks a month or so on my 2002 1.8T GTI.
Ins companies are ******up, and I know someone who works for them, and he couldn't do better then what I have, so I must have a good rate.
Ins companies just take your money. You never get anything back for driving good, now do you?????????/

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
first off your 20 and you have a new car...that has turbo...just becauyse your young its always goin to be aroudn that price usually ...and this is for full coverage right??i use geico ..they r pretty cheap im 24 wit a clean record and pay 589 for 6 months but only liabilty...full coverage would run me at 1100 for 6 months...try geico if you could ...allstate had quopted me at 1100 for just liabilty ..now wtf is dat ...

·
Registered
31 Posts

I agree that because you are under 25 you are going to get slammed on insurance unless you have a 40yr old beater car.
My recommendation is take about 3 hours online and do a search for "online auto insurance quotes". Fill out as many online quote forms as you can tolerate and then sit back and watch the quotes come in. I have to warn you it could take up to a week with many of them. Many small insurance companies will come up that don't advertise in the typical sense (don't charge your more for their advertising costs). Personally, I am 26 with a nearly clean record and I was able to save $700 per 6-month by switching to a small company called Country Insurance out of Illinois (I live in Colorado). My customer service is great and I am on a first name basis with my agent and it has only been 9 months since I joined up.
Just for the record, I HATE STATE FARM (long story) and didn't even ask for a quote from them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: state farm insurance haha (JetColorado)

Once a year I check around for insurance rates. I have been with 2 companies in 14 years. Farmers and AAA Insurance. They have always been the lest expensive. State farm have always been the MOST expensive of the major companies. Sometimes as much as double that of my current company.
State farm charges for their reputation I think - and tend to shy away from younger drivers from what ive seen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: state farm insurance haha (JetColorado)

Once a year I check around for insurance rates. I have been with 2 companies in 14 years. Farmers and AAA Insurance. They have always been the lest expensive. State farm have always been the MOST expensive of the major companies. Sometimes as much as double that of my current company.
State farm charges for their reputation I think - and tend to shy away from younger drivers from what ive seen.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

whats up man?yeah I totally understand what you mean I am 20 aswell and insurance sucks @$$ for me to.I pay about 200 a month for a 2004 gls 1.8l.My girlfriend sales insurance IM me and I will give you her email address So she can run some quotes for you and not bs you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts

I'm 37, insure 3 cars (2003tdi, Sebring, small Japanese SUV) and I pay about $300/mo CDN, although the suv just gets basic liability. I get discounts for multi cars and for having house insurance with them. I've never had an accident claim nor have I ever got a speeding ticket (I have some sort of ESP when it comes to police cars, I don't know).
You're getting screwed in 2 ways: foreign car = $$$repairs, and under 25 (mine plummeted @25). Possible 3rd and 4th reasons, in some areas VWs are prime targets for theft; and...if you live in an area with high disaster claims (eg. tornado alley) they will spread risk-even if they are not supposed to.
I wouldn't go near State Farm anyway, even in Canada they are famous for reneging on payment, low-balling (and daring you to sue), and dropping policies as soon as you try to make a claim. They also are VERY quick to jack you up to the next risk group regardless of your history. If you don't like on-line shopping, see an independent broker... I enjoy personal service from someone I can sit down and have a coffee with, and they will shop around too. They often give you advice that no underwriting insurer would give you.
I would love to start an insurance company, it's like keno. "Give me your money" "Noooo.. you didn't win, honest." "Why don't you pay me again?"

Modified by aikejon at 11:50 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
172 Posts
Now I think Chris Rock said it best... "car insurance should be called "in case **** happens" but in the case that **** doesn't happen, shouldnt i get my money back?!"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (DirtBug)

well sofar the best ive found is $344/ month but that still seems high even for a 2001 jetta its alot just because all these stupid little kids whos parents buy them there cars and pay there way threw life and they dot know how to drive ppl like me who dont get into accedents have to pay for there problems its bs

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Re: (kicker300wt)

I had state farm and for my 01 VR6 I only paid $180 a month and when the car was in an accident they gave me more than I got the car for. It might just be the area out here though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: (1fastdub)

I insure both my wife and I on my 98 GTI VR6 for $100/month. full coverage through safeco.
While I have a clean record, hers is brutal: 2 totalled cars in the last 7 years, 1 ticket. we live in oakland, which i was told is an expensive area to insure (theft, accidents, crazy drivers, etc.).
I don't understand state farm can ask for $850/month, that's just absurd. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
i went through an independent broker, who dropped my previous rates by $600 a year. AND i was previously insured in a "lower risk" zone. if you can't find better than $344, it may be worth your time to have a pro look into plans w/ lower rates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: (kicker300wt)

Yep, we all pay for the bad habits of the few....risk spreading at its best. However moral hazard prevents us from knowing who just had a bad day and who is a jerk (insurance companies are willing to make a guess though). Insure everyone and we all pay through the nose...get overly tough and many of us will not be able to keep/maintain our insurance policies. ...we also pay for outrageous law suits. Either way, we pay.

·
Registered
94 Posts

$850 a month? That is ridiculus.
I have had an accident and a speeding ticket, I am 19 and the rate for my insurance is only like $175 a month and I have a '99 Passat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: state farm insurance haha (danthebravesfan)

ok i found out about a insurance company thats at http://www.esurance.com but i dont know anything about them check it out and tell me what you think and if you think there legit thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif threw them my insurance for a 2004 1.8t gti would be $234/ month thats not too bad i guess also you insurance is lower when you are married and im single
thats why you ppl that have you and your wife on have cheaper insurance anyways im typing to much useless info thanks

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

I have State Farm, am a 24 year old female, just bought a 2004.5 GLI 1.8t, and I pay $99/month for full coverage. I have had 2 speeding tickets, but those were a couple of years back.
It cost me $50/month for liability only on my 88 GLI 16v.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts