VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stealing & Stripping Car Is Legal... Career Change Anyone?

Well....they didn't exactly said that but that is the impression I got after watching one of those investigative report a couple of hours ago. They actually got the guy on video tape stealing and stripping cars for sale and the guy walk free after someone bailed him out!
Did any of you guys see this report? I caught the last part of it and I hope I'm wrong.

Modified by ni4ni at 12:42 AM 5-8-2003

·
Registered
82 Posts
You DO know how bail works, right? You are NOT free and clear when you are bailed out. You just paid an amout that the judge set for you to 'promise' that you will return to your trial at a later date. You can be free to walk the streets until your trial date. These guys could get any amout of time from probation, to a day or two in jail, time in prison (a year or more= prison in most states), or just a fine.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Re: Stealing & Stripping Car Is Legal... Career Change Anyone? (ni4ni)

...well actually the people stripping the car didn't steal it. The police set up an insurance fraud scam stakeout , where in they set it up so that the tow truck guy would pick the car up and then the "guy" meaning the police would call the insurance company saying the car had been stolen. The tow-truck guy was supposedly in with a ring of major chop-shop people whom the cops couldn't get a lead on. The guys you saw stripping the car and driving around in it could not be charged with stealing the car because the "police" called them to pick it up so they could supposedly call it in as stolen to the insurance company/they did this to try to get a lead on the chop-shop. The hidden cameras in the fraud car Blazer only caught them talking about the chop-shop and stripping the car so the most they could get charged with was dealing in stolen goods, which they didn't still but was handed over to them, meaning the car
....and the guys where released with a slap on the wrist to open and start another tow truck business. Aint America great

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Stealing & Stripping Car Is Legal... Career Change Anyone? (VW97Jetta)

Just to answer the question....
Yes they did all get off on their charges, and yes they are back in business today....
Our legal system kicks arse...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Stealing & Stripping Car Is Legal... Career Change Anyone? (VA-Dubber)

Quote, originally posted by VA-Dubber »
...well actually the people stripping the car didn't steal it. The police set up an insurance fraud scam stakeout , where in they set it up so that the tow truck guy would pick the car up and then the "guy" meaning the police would call the insurance company saying the car had been stolen. The tow-truck guy was supposedly in with a ring of major chop-shop people whom the cops couldn't get a lead on. The guys you saw stripping the car and driving around in it could not be charged with stealing the car because the "police" called them to pick it up so they could supposedly call it in as stolen to the insurance company/they did this to try to get a lead on the chop-shop. The hidden cameras in the fraud car Blazer only caught them talking about the chop-shop and stripping the car so the most they could get charged with was dealing in stolen goods, which they didn't still but was handed over to them, meaning the car
....and the guys where released with a slap on the wrist to open and start another tow truck business. Aint America great

Thanks for clarifying that up. I saw the last part of the show and just got furious...it brought back memeries of my chopped up Civic.

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Re: Stealing & Stripping Car Is Legal... Career Change Anyone? (VW97Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by VW97Jetta »
Yep, I saw it on 60 Minutes last night.....pathetic.....
i saw it on dateline NBC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.