VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -
I have a question about winter steel wheels and tires for my 07 A4 Avant...I've tried to order steel wheels from tire rack, only to be told that there are none available for my specific vehicle. However, my last car was a 2001 A4, and there are 16" x 6.5 steel wheels available for it, in stock in fact...so, what's the difference?? Is there some major difference in the lug nut pattern that makes it impossible to use the same steel wheels? I REALLY don't want to shell out the extra couple hundred bucks for alloy wheels, since they'll just get all sh*tty in the winter road salt anyway. I'm just looking at mounting 215/55-16 winter tires with the 16" steelies. And no, I do not have the tire pressure monitoring system on my newer A4.
Thanks in advance!
Jess

·
Banned
8,785 Posts
Re: Steel Wheels - help (jphirsch77)

The 16" steelies we sell for the 2001 a4 are ET42, and the 2007 wheels are all ET35. Not much of a difference, but enough that we expected some rubbing on the strut (especially with the squared off shoulder of a snow tire) with the higher ET when the suspension is compressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Steel Wheels - help ([email protected])

So what would be the worst-case scenario if I did go with the steelies? It sounds like there's no certainty that the rubbing would happen (and if it did, it would only happen if I either hit a pothole and/or had four very large individuals in the car with me). But would it possibly ruin the tire? My struts? Worse?
Just curious, thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts