VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that you can use a very fine steel wool to polish and clean your windshield. Where can you get really fine steel wool? I tried the supermarket but no luck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (bergenvr6)

yup - Home Depot has #0000 steel wool. That's fine enough for the windshield. Works great w/ your fav glass cleaner and lint free towel or newpaper to dry.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (snowbird)

I have heard horror stories about steel wool and windows...the harshest I would use would be Bon Ami brand tile cleaner as it is glass approved and sponge...

Sean

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (Guvs97JettaGT)

Hello Horror-Stories R- Us
Steel wool on the windshield? No way....use Bon Ami or Rain X Windshield Cleaner...winshield compound cleaners to remove the wax runoff haze or commerical hot waxes at the car wash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (bobby_t1)

quote:[HR][/HR]where does one buy "Bon Ami" and is it meant to be applied + removed by hand?[HR][/HR]​
You should be able to find Bon Ami in any grocery or discount store. It is a scouring powder, similar to Comet, but guaranteed not to scratch. I started using it after I saw it as a tech tip on a car show. Wet your windshield, sprinkle on lightly, and scrub with a sponge. Then rinse completely. It will remove, road grime, bugs, etc... I always keep it in my detail kit. I also use it with a scrub brush when I am cleaning a car who's tires have started to brown on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (Keving60)

For what it’s worth, I originally saw the steel wool trick on a detailing clip on Hot Rod TV, or something like that, on Speed Vision… It was the Pro tip of the day. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (NewYorkMk2GTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]i used to detail cars at a dealership, we used to use regular steal wool u use on ur dishes, as long as u dont have tint its fine just use a lot of windown cleaner.[HR][/HR]​
So what exactly do you do with it? Do you use any product in particular with it?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (jackimoe)

quote:[HR][/HR] the newer glass is softer and will scratch much easier. i would avoid even the 0000 steel wool. this wasn't a problem 5 years ago!
[HR][/HR]​
So using #0000 steel wool on my 97 windshield should be okay?

·
Registered
226 Posts

if it is the same glass that was in the 95 or 96 models, you should be ok. you can still avoid the steel wool though. look for a decent glass polish. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Re: steel wool on windshield? (96passatowner)

quote:[HR][/HR]Bon- Ami http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif " has'nt scratched yet!" ( their motto )[HR][/HR]​
I called home depot and safeway and they have no idea what this stuff is.. where can I get it?

·
Registered
20 Posts

Try your local auto parts store. That is where I get mine. Most hardware stores carry it alos. Just make sure it is 0000 steel wool...that is 4 0's. Anything else is too course and likely will scratch your glass.
I use a shot of Simple Green and a quick rub with the 0000 steel wool. I also use this combination on my wheels.
Howard

·
Registered
17 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Which particular bon ami product should I be lookign at? the glass cleaner product doesn't seem to be a powder which others are describing it as.[HR][/HR]​
Look in your Wal-mart, etc, in the cleaning section. It should be right next to the Comet, Ajax, and other scouring powder. Yellow cardboard, canister, red label.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.