VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone-I own a 2006 VW Passat 3.6L that only has 4500 miles on it. I have an aftermarket remote start by Clifford that is connected to the ignition inside the dash. I've had this remote start inside my car since I've bought it...with no problems...until now...The Passat will show an error message in the Information Box saying "Steering Column Lock Defective". The car will not start and then it will lock the key fob inside the dash. I can press My Remote Start and the car will start....and then die. If I unlock the steering column and move the steering wheel up or down...the message will clear and the car will start. I am sure that it's not the remote start...but the dealer Lou Bachrodt (Rockford, IL) is terrible to deal with...even though I have an 8 year 120,000 mile warranty with the car. Lou Bachrodt will blame the aftermarket remote starter and say that there is nothing they can do. I know I could go to another dealer...but that's about 50 miles away. Plus I've checked all the fuses in the car, and they are good....so I am not sure what to do? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Rick T.
Owner of:
1964 “Slammed” VW Panel Bus
1981 Convertible VW Rabbit
2006 VW Passat 3.6L

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock for 2006 Passat (vwpassatkid13)

Rick,
I realize this is an older post, but I am wondering if you have negotiated a solution to this problem? I have expereinced the same "Steering Column Lock Defective" message twice in the last week. I have a two year old Passat 2.0T with 23K miles, with no aftermarket parts (other than wheels). Just wondering what you've come up with. I find that if I do some research before I take it to the dealer, I have better weapons to fight with.
Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock for 2006 Passat (vwpassatkid13)

I also have a 2006 Passat 3.6, leased new, with approx 62k miles. Previously (maybe 12-15k ago) the car would not turn off, even after releasing the key. Car would run for up to 30 minutes with no key. Dealer diagnosed sticking relay in electrical system control module. About 2 months ago car starting giving me the "steering lock defective" warning and instructed me to move the wheel, which usually would get car to start. Now it starts and stalls, starts and stalls, etc. Dropped car off at Terry VW in Lynchburg today and am told will have to replace entire column at cost of $1500. Not happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steering Column Lock failure

Add another one to the list. 62,000 miles, 9 month old 2006 VW Passat 2.0T
Was obvious that the dealer's mechanics had seen this several times before to. Their diagnosis:
Must replace steering column lock, lock control module, steering column, and the convenience control module (matched to the steering lock control module).
Cost: $2400
This is after being back to the dealer 8 times for warranted items, 3 of which kept the thing from running. This is the second 2006 Passat my wife had gotten suckered into. The first one was a lease with which she was racking up just way too many miles, and had a never ending barrage of problems. So we "traded" it towards the purchase (not lease) of another 2006 Passat in the hope that the first one was just a lemon.
Well, shame on me. Its not that one car was a lemon, Volkswagen's are lemons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock failure (JohnSuykerbuyk)

I'm going to pick up our 2006 Passat tomorrow and pay $1500 for the steering column replacement because of intermittent stalling when we would start it.
What gets me is that I've already paid $600 since the beginning of August to resolve this issue, we've had it in there 3 times and 'the codes' just weren't right until this time
. Our car has 90K on it. Is there anywhere we can report this so that we can get our money back when VW ends up doing a recall on 2006 passat to replace the steering column??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock failure (Dianne)

I'm frustrated because everytime I take my car in, the diagnostic never picks up the problem. I spent half the day in the dealership yesterday for them to tell me there is no problem. I try to go to work this morning and my car doesn't start. Now in addition to the Steering Column Lock they have replaced my gas cap a second time, only for that warning light to come on again this morning. I have a 10 hour drive to visit family scheduled and am scared that I'll stop for gas or snacks and my car won't restart....THEN WHAT?!?!?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock failure (denitiajaleel)

Have you tried moving the steering wheel back and forth while depressing the key? The display on my Passat instructed me to do so and it works most of the time. Car is currently sitting at dealership while steering colujmn is on backorder.
Topher

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock failure (denitiajaleel)

We had the same question to our dealership, how come we were here twice and paid $100 each time for a diagnostic check that brought back different codes, (we paid for the gas cap valve too) spent $600. If there is a problem with the steering column, wouldn't that be one of the codes that showed up earlier?
My husband thinks a letter to VW or the dealer would be a waste of my time since I've already paid for the repairs; but apparently these issues have nothing to do with the mileage but the 2006 Passat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any lawyers trolling here?
Sure sounds like there is an opportunity for a class action law suit to motivate VW to do a recall.
The steering column lock is broken by design... Too many of us having the same problem, too many of us paying out way too much for something that should just work.
- John "S"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: (Dianne)New Victim

I just got news that my steering lock module is defective and the cost is $1500. The car is a 2006 Passat with 57,000 miles. Since it was close to but past the Warrantee the dealer VW of Langhorne PA helped by getting the Mfg rep to split the cost but I am still out $750 for a manufacturers defect. I called VW customer service but basically they said even if it is a defect it's past warrantee and I should be glad that they gave me $750 toward the repair. This is obviously a recall item and should be brought to the attention of the better business bureau and the National Highway Safety Institute since the defect can cause a lock out or engine to run without the key. Time to get the authorities involved. I like my passat and my dealer is great but this problem can't be ignored.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: (Dianne)New Victim (Jan Andrew)

At this point, I feel extremely fortunate (at least $1500 fortunate) that this happened while under warranty. With this in mind, even though I love my car, I will definitely get rid of it before my time runs out on the warranty. Keep your eye out, in about a year, for a well maintained Passat for sale in Colorado.

·
Administrator
28,726 Posts
Re: (JohnSuykerbuyk)

Quote, originally posted by JohnSuykerbuyk »
Any lawyers trolling here?

Are you guys all Lawyers?

I've never seen a thread so full of newbies all posting at the same time.
FYI (for those that may read this in a years time) every single poster before me has less than 10 posts.

Seriously though, I've got to move this to the B6 forum as it's not specific to the 3.6L 24V VR6 - more specific to the car itself.
***Moved from 3.6L tech forum to Passat B6***

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock failure (JohnSuykerbuyk)

Quote, originally posted by JohnSuykerbuyk »
Add another one to the list. 62,000 miles, 9 month old 2006 VW Passat 2.0T

Maybe they are trolling. How does a car get 62k in 9 months?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Steering Column Lock failure (dhambrick)

2006 Passat with 56,000 miles, When I called the dealer they acted like they never heard of this happening to anyone. Glad I checked before my appointment in 2 days. I'm afraid to go anywhere because of it not starting. The crazy thing is it only does it in the after noon - never in the morning...

1 - 20 of 308 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.