VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. just what I was looking for.

today during my failed attempt to have someone change change my rack ran into rusted bolts and they didn't want to attempt to get them off today in fear of breaking them off.

I'm either going to let the sucker leak until some other repair is needed or place car on jack stands and apply penetrating fluid over multiple days then attempt to remove the bolts myself.

At least they did remove the tie rod ends and power steering line connections that looked tricky and corroded as well.

Has anyone broke these studs off during removal? What's the fix?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If you are doubtful of the bolts, soak them fir a few days, the get a small portable torch about the size of little propane ones you use for soldering plumbing, but many places offer a 2 bottle set up that mixes2 gases and is ideal for home use.

Heat the crap out of them and then try and gently take them while the are hot.

Cover the surrounding area with wet rags, keep water or fire extinguisher handy just to be safe.

If you take your time you should be. Able to get it all out and not break the studs.

Once you do get it off I recommend you clean the threads well and use alot of anti seize

Good luck!

Misspelled by my iPhone using Slaptalk!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.