VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the middle of putting a 4.3 vortec in my mk1 rabbit and was just wondering if anyone has any clever ideas for relocating the steering rack as its right in the way of everything.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
We are all different but there has got to be a reason why you think that engine is worth the effort. Yes, it's your car and there is one person with enough balls to say what everyone is thinking. I get a lot of people questioning why I put so much money in the POS I have. I tell them, it's my car, I like it, and tell most people that I'm a bit different because I certainly could be driving something much better.

Some of us would like to know what you see in that engine and why would you invest so much time/money trying to make it work.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
An old s10’s are about $300 aAND they even come with steering!!!

And something to consider: if you plan to actually drive this thing, I mean use it as transportation. If you put a vw diesel in it you could be saving $300+!!! a MONTH in fuel alone.

And think about how that adds up over the years.

I applaud your effort nonetheless brother man.

If I had swapped a 4.3 into my truck I may have spent as much or more as $20,000 in FUEL.

That buys you… over time…down payment on a house,
An entire NEW vehicle,

Or just reduces your stress from making ends meet.

I wish someone had laid that out to me when I was in highschool and drove a 71 Plymouth v8

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've seen a couple of steering rack options for doing this on a Mk1. But off hand I don't recall the details. I believe one approach was to use a right hand drive rack (i.e. from a UK car) and flip it around so it can be mounted in front of the suspension/engine instead of behind.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I applaud any young kid to do the impossible. Us old people, would just say Why or That's stupid. It's ok for people to question your thoughts. They should. Don't get offended. You may just think of it a different way and agree with them. You also may just get mad and prove people wrong. Some people will not get your idea. Like the diesel suggestion above. I would assume that if you wanted a V6 gas, fuel economy is the last thing you care about.

One thing for certain, if you ever do get this thing going, you will be able to do a bigger RWD burn out better than any VW diesel could. :p

We'll see how long this project lasts and how far you get. I earned my name because many people would tell me it would not work, it can't be done, and I could not do it. I always took their comments as words of encouragement. Usually, I proved them wrong but there were numerous times, they were right. What was I thinking? This may be one of those occasions for you. One thing for certain, something is going to happen.

Just remember, you need to do it right or you could kill someone. In order for you to go, you need to stop. I hope you do something about that. I do not know what the engineers expected for weight, but I suspect they never expected to have that much weight in the front end. Better look into that too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I'm beefing up pretty much all of the front suspension and getting bigger breaks for sure, I wasn't really offended as the more people that tell me that it cant be done the more I want to prove them wrong.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
This guy did a RWD pick up…. Can’t believe it was 10 years ago…

I’m sure there’s something in there that may help you.

-Todd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts