VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic has just informed me that the tie rod ends on my 98 1.8t wagon with 60,000 miles are shot. He says that this is not uncommon for this vehicle and the A4 and that he has seen them go in as little as 40k. I am also told that the upper and lower control arms on the left side are weak and the right side are in need of attention.
While I trust my mechanic, is there anyone else out there that has had steering problems with a vehicle of this mileage...it seems a little low to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Steering troubel (Nason)

I had the same trouble on a 97 A4 after 40k. The car was 4 years old and out of warranty but Audi paid for the lot. It was actually the dealer who suggested asking Audi for a contribution and him who contacted the manufacturers on my behalf. I was very pleasantly surprized to say the least when I was told that I would have nothing to pay.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: Steering troubel (Fuyusan)

Had to replace both tie rod ends at 62k on my '98 GLS. Haven't tackled the control arms yet. Tie rod ends can be bought on the internet for around $50 each and both can be changed in about an hour and a half. After that, just need an alignment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Steering troubel (Jon Trusik)

The 99 Passat I bought my daughter had the tierods replaced under a recall which I believe also applies to the 98. You may be due for some free tierod ends. As to the control arms germanautoparts.com and esctuning.com seems to have good prices. Perhaps you can find a local shop to install if VW wont give you help on this known design problem w. audis and passats. Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts