VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what could cause steering vibration? My wheels are brand new GLI BBS RC's so there are no bends, they should be properly balanced as well...This is what she does, I'll hit the gas and the steering wheel will shake/vibrate slightly, it is more noticable around 60-70 mph, but as soon as I let off the gas and coast it (even at 60mph) the wheel stops....she drives straight and all, Im just noit sure what could cause this? Any suggestions would be helpful..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Re: Steering Vibration at certain speeds? (JazBlu3660)

i have the same thing on my 20th, at 12,000 miles i think its just normal

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

my 337 does it with 40k miles on it......I never noticed it until I installed this last suspension and had new tires put on at NTB....I had to take the wheels back to have them rebalanced....now I'm paranoid bout them still not being balanced because it still does what you describe
however, it doesn't make sense that the wheels would be causing it to shake only under acceleration and be fine when you coast, so I'm gonna be looking close at my motor mounts to see if they've just been stressed too much, or who knows, the alignment could be out of spec

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Re: Steering Vibration at certain speeds? (Djmanrc)

Quote, originally posted by Djmanrc »
i have the same thing on my 20th, at 12,000 miles i think its just normal

it's not normal. you'll probably need to have your wheels shimmed. but it is one of those things where the dealer w/ have to drive your car at 80mph to recreat the issue, then they adjust/shim whatever they need and try driving again.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also, my car did this when I had my 16" winter steelies on and my 19" Evo5's

Modified by JazBlu3660 at 11:58 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JazBlu3660 »
what do you mean wheels shimmed?

im sorry, i only ever hear that, i do not fully understand what shimming is, lemmme ask a few friends and i'll post back up, unless someone else understands it?

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Re: (JazBlu3660)

Quote, originally posted by JazBlu3660 »
has anyone brought there car to get serviced regarding this problem?

try the wheels bearing. had mine replaced with only a few hundred miles on them. no more issues. also check that they didn't over torque your wheels.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Re: (bluanutonu)

mine does it too - since brand new - i checked the torque on my wheels and found them looser than i would like..so that is not my issue (them being over torqued) - just think the wheels need to be re-balanced..so we'll see....

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Re: (mannin32)

I have recently noticed the same thing on mine. I have 34k miles on original tires (minus winter months with snow tires). I personally think it was always there...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: (strider5)

I had exactly the same problem when I rebalanced my tire after it went flat.....
It was between 70-80 mph that it was happening and it was bad...
I had balancing done @ Sears where I normally do that...
When I had the tires rotated and balanced @ my VW dealer the problem went away....
Basically the problem was wrong balancing @ Sears....
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Re: (brab)

yesterday mine just started to wobble just a tiny tiny bit at 65mph and up......i have 12k miles and am due for new tires soon. So i figure when i get the new tires i will have it aligned and it will eliminate it.
Ian K

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Re: (Boosted20th2886)

first check rims for any bends
have them balanced
spin the tires to see if any of them are defective like a steel cord has broken
check your front end to see if anything is loose

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (TheBox)

Alright, just got the car back from the dealer and they are telling me it's normal, it just doesnt seem normal though because my g/f's jetta doesnt do it and it's the same chassis....any one fix this issue?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: (JazBlu3660)

i had that happen on my mitsubishi eclipse....it turned out to be warped rotors. You all might wanna check into that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts