VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious... when I'm driving on a straightaway path (no curves), my steering wheel is cocked to the right.
obviously, when I straighten out the steering wheel, my car veers to the left.
What could the problem be? Could it be bad tie rods?

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel not straight when driving straight (95RADOVR6)

if you let go of the wheel on a flat highway, what happens? my steering wheel is about 10 degrees off, but its because I was to lazy to mark it when it was removed for the dash to come out...

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel not straight when driving straight (kevwithoutacorrado)

check the wear on your tires.
bring it to an alignment shop and see what they say

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel not straight when driving straight (Strictly Gravy)

Is it an aftermarket wheel? If so, then whoever put it on didn't have the previous steering wheel lined up before he took it off. I was so excited when I got my new steering wheel, that I made that mistake....never got around to fixing it though

·
Registered
17 Posts

It's the alignment. You can ask them to straighten out your steering wheel if you like.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel not straight when driving straight (hamtonp)

couldn't you just pull the cover off the wheel, remove the 22mm nut, re-position the wheel, and set it back on there?
i have the exact same issue with my wheel, but my tires wear perfectly, and the alignment is spot on, but i'm still concerned that its not right. i was with my friend when he did my alignment, and you have to set the steering wheel in a certain position and hold it down with this bar gizmo. does anybody know what that's all about?
-danny

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Steering Wheel not straight when driving straight (CageyBee)

i think when i let go of the wheel when driving, it veered to the left... like it was straightening itself out. It's not the wear on my tires because they are brand new. And I just got my alignment done recently. My steering wheel is stock. As far as repositioning the wheel, I don't think that can be done since there is an airbag.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

They did your alignment wrong. Go back and make them do it right (good luck!)
Chances are they adjusted the toe in by shortening one tie rod instead of both to get them even, which they are supposed to do but it takes longer. Affects bump steer and ackerman, so it does matter.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
if the car wanders off a straight line when you let go it's the alginment...alignment shops vary as much as mechanincs do. I've had to go back after alignments a couple of times before. if you go and complain chances are they will break your bawlz since your car is lowered. Bite the bullet, look around for a shop that works on highend cars and ask them where they send cars to get aligned.
if the wheel is cocked and the car drives straight, try to remember the position the wheel is in when you are going straight. park the car and put it to that position, pull the wheel off (you were at Rush, so you should know how, lol) and reposition the wheel straight.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 95RADOVR6 »
i think when i let go of the wheel when driving, it veered to the left... like it was straightening itself out. It's not the wear on my tires because they are brand new. And I just got my alignment done recently. My steering wheel is stock. As far as repositioning the wheel, I don't think that can be done since there is an airbag.

Dude it's your alingment. I had my Corrado done at two diff places. The last time they alingend it perfectly but after a day or so it was out of wack again because of driving through minefields of potholes. Damn terrorists!!

And currently mine is out of wack, pulls to the left and the steering wheel isn't lined up either.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Steering Wheel not straight when driving straight (Corradorennenprofi)

Thanks, all, for your help. I already scheduled to have it aligned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts