VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on the FDR in NYC, I hit the biggest pot holes I've ever seen in my life. Three inverted pot holes (looks like an sewer cap mountain) within unavoidable distances. I try to go over them with caution because traffic around me was 60-70mph and I know our MKIV oilpans are crap, so I wanted to avoid cracking it. All I heard was three really loud "THUMPS". Next thing I hear is a phishing sound from my from passenger wheel - my tire blew.
I changed my rear passenger 337 BBS RC to the front passenger and installed the stock spare (16") in the rear. I pumped air into all four tires to read 38 psi.
Now my steering wheel is off. As I'm driving straight, my steering wheel is slanted to the right. And if I straighten my steering wheel, my car goes left. Any ideas? and how to fix it?
Do you think I can just get an alignment or just adjust the steering wheel? I hope it's nothing major because I need to pick up some new 18" tires.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: Steering wheel off from really big inverted potholes? Need help. (doN_R6)

You knocked the wheels out of alignment, take it in as soon ask you can to fix it. As long as nothing is bent it's not i big issue. It happens to almost everyone at some point. Sucks about you tire though, that happened to me about 2 months ago at $180 per tire. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Steering wheel off from really big inverted potholes? Need help. (Mark4VR6)

Moving back to NYC this week - Not looking forward to those potholes..
Is it just me, or does it seem like the pothole problem is getting worse and worse in NYC?
They used to be managable, but now I'm worrying about driving on 18's..
Some of them are about 12-15 inches across and 5-10 inches deep <- serious damage!

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: Steering wheel off from really big inverted potholes? Need help. (Futura2000)

Don your cars out of alignment, it happened to me before.
You want a good alignment person?..hit me up.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Steering wheel off from really big inverted potholes? Need help. (samc)

sam...i just IM'd you. thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts