VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1164 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here it is I complete this all in about an hour or so.
First I bought the S3 spare from local dealer. It's a donut and it comes with the tire. Cost about $150 after complaining about not having a spare in the first place. Retail is $180.

The start.

Then the plastic needs a bit of trimming.

Then the foam is perfect. They actually give you the template to cut on the back.

Then a bit of foam on the back of the fender sub.

Everything sits flush.

As for the jack and accessories. I bought a set on eBay for about $50. The deal wanted about 150.....
Just search vw jack....There is a bunch out there.

This is the one I got. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271824040260?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I took it out of the foam...I used the strap that was already in the foam for the little stuff and rammed the jack into the foam and its in nice and tight.
Any questions ask away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome guide, thanks for posting. Just find it odd that VW obviously designed the plastic panels and foam differently for a no spare trunk. I thought they would've just used the same parts as the spare trunk, but surprisingly more modification is needed to fit a spare.
Hey there Zed4me....
Im waiting for the neuspeed plug and play review.. Ill keep checking your channel.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Great DIY and pics. This is something I've wanted to get around to. Now made easy thanks to you. :beer::thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arriving tomorrow but won't be installing till Sunday most likely. Thanks for keeping updated :)

OP.. I'm sure hard to tell but any noticeable difference in bass response with the spare tire in?
Ill test it out...Im a bass head so Ill probably be adding my own sub at some point...lol

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Great DIY! Do you know if there are OEM foam pieces designed for the spare that could be used instead of cutting the stock non-spare pieces?

Also, ditto for the plastic piece on the trunk opening. Would be.nice if there was some euro piece that could be swapped in, instead of chopping up the stock piece.

Thanks again for your contribution!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what the euro looks like.
Not sure about part #.
But this have me the go ahead.

Also I couldn't have done it without this little guy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is what the euro looks like.
Not sure about part #.
But this have me the go ahead.

Also I couldn't have done it without this little guy.

Whoa ok my car seems to have come with that carpet.

So... if I get the other foam triangle pieces I'll have the euro stock set up. Hmm.. anyone know the part numbers for those pieces?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Whoa ok my car seems to have come with that carpet.

So... if I get the other foam triangle pieces I'll have the euro stock set up. Hmm.. anyone know the part numbers for those pieces?

fjork, mine is the same carpeted piece as yours. Did you ever find the part numbers for the triangular sections?

·
Registered
90 Posts
fjork, mine is the same carpeted piece as yours. Did you ever find the part numbers for the triangular sections?
What is the part number of the carpet? Would be good to know if the spare fits on the new carpet that are coming in cars after preorders...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Similar but different

I have done done the same, but took a bit different approach. I am a tight ass, so I found my answer in a salvage yard. I researched and found a list of good donors, then began the search...

Spare Tire/Wheel (3.5X18 et25 w/125/70/18 tire)
- 07-15 Eos
- 09-15 A3/S3
- 12-15 Golf R

Jack & Tool Kit - Initially I got the spare and tools from a 09 S3. The spare fit with no issue, but the jack was the same one shown by the OP and the threaded rod interfered with the side skirt on the front. So I took the jack out of my wife's Jetta and it worked perfectly (and is a lot less scary). The new style can be found on these cars...
- 11-15 Jetta
- 12-15 Beetle
- 12-15 Passat
- 14-15 Golf

Here are some pix to illustrate a few things...

Fitment of the spare and jack

I trimmed about 1/8" inside the "template" VW gave us and it's a nice snug fit

I trimmed the back plastic piece in nearly the same as the OP, but used a heat gun to finish off the cut surfaces on both the foam and the plastic

Until I get the Euro foam I trimmed down the salvage yard tool kit I got to make it fit snug

It doesn't look as finished as I'd like it to, but is fully functional until I can get the factory carpet and foam piece to do it right

Lastly, here is the foam from a French R (This number is confirmed 5G0 012 115 N) and the carpet (This number is not confirmed [can one of you US guys who got this comfirm the number?]5G6 863 007 F CA9)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Lastly, here is the foam from a French R (This number is confirmed 5G0 012 115 N) and the carpet (This number is not confirmed [can one of you US guys who got this comfirm the number?]5G6 863 007 F CA9)
Good find on the French foam. Any luck ordering it anywhere?

1 - 20 of 1164 Posts