VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Step-by-step Door panel rattle fix (sound proofing)

Ok I have a step by step with results for eliminating door rattle and issues related to base vibration. (Also note that the door has two panels an outer and a metal inner. The metal inner panel was not removed by me but VW did install their vibration kit behind it, which does not do much)
I did the work with the help of my local audio shop, the sound proofing material was inventory at the shop (but it can also be bought here:
http://www.scosche.com/accumat.aspx)
The 100$ was for materials and labor (1 sound tech to remove door and place the accumat material - I did all the planning and prep for this fix and was worried it might not even work, till we cranked the volume and immediate results):
Gold Star Audio
(949) 752-1446
16500 Aston
Irvine, CA 92606

Some key findings... the two main vibration sources came from the door panel moving against the door metal, and the door handle on all four doors vibrating with medium base levels
Door handle vibrations:

step by step...
Open driver door:

Carefully pry door control panel off (note the two screws that need removing after the window control panel is off, there are also two screws at the very bottom of the door panel):

unplug wires from window controls:

Slowly but firmly pop all the clips that can be found around the rim of the door panel and remove:

CLoser view (as you remove the panel note there is a wire that runs from the door handle to the inner door lever, it needs unhooking but remember to hook it back or your door wont open from the inside):

View of dynaudio speaker setup

View of hardware behind the removed door panel:

View behind speaker case:

Apply the sound proofing (has a sticky back (has aluminium shiny surface)

Even more:

Even more: cover the door with the stuff!

Put the door back and repeat for all doors...

It works! My car is now perfect... not a single vibration!

Modified by FOXYINAPASSAT at 5:23 PM 11-20-2005

Modified by FOXYINAPASSAT at 12:07 AM 11-21-2005

·
Registered
728 Posts
Foxy, you may have already mentioned my following question in your earlier postst.
Who did the work for you. A nearby autobody shop or VW service? What can you tell us about the soundproofing material? Who makes it and where can it be purchased? And finally, you said the material costs $100, how much was the labor?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (jazzspot)

I did the work with the help of my local audio shop, the sound proofing material was inventory at the shop (but it can also be bought here:
http://www.scosche.com/accumat.aspx)
The 100$ was for materials and labor (1 sound tech to remove door and place the accumat material - I did all the planning and prep for this fix and was worried it might not even work, till we cranked the volume and immediate results):
Gold Star Audio
(949) 752-1446
16500 Aston
Irvine, CA 92606

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: (FOXYINAPASSAT)

Great info. I just checked the accumat site and was wondeing which product you used. Accumat has 4 "types" Absorber, Barrier, Damper and HyperFlex. I was wondering which was used.
How difficult was the coor panel removal? I have done it on other cars and was curious.
Thanks again for this great info.
Scott.

·
Banned
21,206 Posts
Re: (niehinunter)

Quote, originally posted by niehinunter »
good stuff, this should be in a faq/diy section. Thankfully haven't had this issue yet.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif It is...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Re: Step-by-step Door panel rattle fix (FOXYINAPASSAT)

Nice pix -- its always kewl to see what Passats look like taken apart. It's a pity that Dynaudio and VW couldn't have worked together to, you know, make sure that rattles wouldn't be an issue in the first place! I mean, who doesn't like a little bass now and again?

·
Registered
22 GLI // 18 Audi S4
12,607 Posts
Re: Step-by-step Door panel rattle fix (sbachmeier)

this is great ... hopefully now I'm getting closer to finding out info on how to swap the Dynaudio into MY Passat

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
.. omg... now i have to add this to my future mod list.. thanks!.. jk
Nice. thanks for the post.
JT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Step-by-step Door panel rattle fix (FOXYINAPASSAT)

Thanks! This is going to help me with my door rattles in my 07 GLI.
I which I read you posting earlier, because I could had help a guy at the Honda dealship from not trading in a 07 Passet with only 12K miles just because he had a rattle in the door.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.