VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read Gunslinger. Let me tell you. MEH. Pretty damn disappointed. My friend assures me that books 2, 3, etc., are much better. However, he also tells me that in order for them to make sense, I need to literally read every other Stephen King book. I have already read 11/22/63 and Under the Dome.

So - can someone kindly give me a primer here, which ones I should read? Where to start?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I just read Gunslinger. Let me tell you. MEH. Pretty damn disappointed. My friend assures me that books 2, 3, etc., are much better. However, he also tells me that in order for them to make sense, I need to literally read every other Stephen King book. I have already read 11/22/63 and Under the Dome.

So - can someone kindly give me a primer here, which ones I should read? Where to start?

Thanks
Just listen to the song:

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
39,831 Posts
Get some of the books that are collections of shorter stories, I've got a couple somewhere like that but I can't remember names right now.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you read the first one and didn't like it, you're going to hate "The Drawing of the Three." That book was actually painful for me to finish. I'm reading "The Wastelands Now." That's much better.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts

Thanks
It's been YEARS since I read the first couple and didn't bother with finishing the series. That said, I never once felt like I needed to have read any of his other books to read the Gunslinger series. There are some references to The Stand from what I remember, but again, I don't think you *have* to read the other ones. I think they adapted the whole series into graphic novel form, may just want to check that out (I've seen them at my local half price bookstore in the comic section). For what it's worth.....

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
11,837 Posts
The Dark Tower Series is awesome, but it's a REALLY slow start. It's not pop literature like most of his stuff. The Gunslinger dragged hard for me too, but I loved it after that.

In terms of other stuff, there's no one story that will be worthwhile. It's just little pieces from other books that fall into Dark Tower.

Key books in the Stephen King Universe that have significant relations to Dark Tower:

IT
Insomnia
The Stand
The Talisman

As for my favorites:
Christine
Tommyknockers
Needful Things
The Dome
Desparation/The Regulators (reading these will F with your head)

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
I've read the entire Dark Tower series several times. The Gunslinger is probably my favorite. I'll agree that Drawing of the Three is a pain to read, but it really lays the foundation for the rest of the series. Didachuk? Dadachum? :laugh:

There is a new one that is between Wolves of the Calla and another one, called The Wind Through the Keyhole or something like that. I read it recently, and it is a little hard to follow, but is a good story that intertwines young Roland into the narrative.

Pick up the unabridged version of The Stand and also It. Both were masterpieces of modern literature.

Also, if you read a lot of his books, you'll understand that The Man in Black is a character in many of his books, with many different names. I'd love to have a few beers with SK just to flesh that character out. :beer:

·
Registered
955 Posts
My mom is a huge Stephen King fan so I picked up Gunslinger out of the blue one day. Read a few chapters, sat back and said to myself "this.....is boring?". Never finished it.

I've read a few things by his son Joe Hill and thoroughly enjoyed them though.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
He's definitely lost his touch. "Just After Sunset" was one snooze after another, and "Under the Dome" was disappointingly linear with a very lame ending. The days of "The Stand," "Misery," and "Four Past Midnight" are all behind him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's been YEARS since I read the first couple and didn't bother with finishing the series. That said, I never once felt like I needed to have read any of his other books to read the Gunslinger series. There are some references to The Stand from what I remember, but again, I don't think you *have* to read the other ones. I think they adapted the whole series into graphic novel form, may just want to check that out (I've seen them at my local half price bookstore in the comic section). For what it's worth.....
"Black House" co-written by him and Peter Straub also references the tower, beam and breakers pretty heavily. I have found all sorts of cross-references in his books. Trying to remember which one I was reading a while back that had a ref to "Shawshank Redemption"...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm half way through "The Gunslinger" right now as per a recommendation from a work colleague. Its OK, definitely not one of King's better works. I am hoping the rest of the Dark Tower series gets better.

In the last year alone, I've read Pet Semetery, Christine, IT, The Green Mile, The Shining, Night Shift, Mr. Mercedes, End of Watch (I missed Finders Keepers).

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I read the novella "Gwendy's Button Box" King wrote with Richard Chizma and found it a fast and interesting read.

Then I started "Sleeping Beauties" written with his son Owen and found it long and boring, so I didn't even finish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts