VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to sell your A4 and move to something a little less expensive, what would you go with? I'm thinking of a VW GTI now. Actually, going to do everything possible to keep the A4 but I want to think of options. The thing I love most is the handling (especially at high speed). The thing I would want to improve on is the acceleration. I absolutely love my car now but am thinking of stepping back so that in a couple years I can go to the S4 without as much pain.
Give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Re: Stepping back from an A4 (willytime)

The two cars that I was considering as more economical alternatives to my A4 were:
The RSX Type S and the Golf GTI 1.8t. Both have pretty good levels of refinement. Of course the GTI does have bank vault interior construction like the A4 which I definitely liked better. But the RSX has pretty good performance numbers for the money. I prefer german engineering so I would have gone with the 1.8t.
Maybe 25th anniversary edition... SWEET
Good luck

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Re: Stepping back from an A4 (willytime)

WRX, all the way.........
friend just got one. slow from 1000rpm to 3000rpm. fast as hell and very nicely geared from 4000rpm on up. got the momo steering wheel, boost gauge, wheels. very nice. Very visceral, that is what I would get. AWD, turbo, rally heritage, I think it is as close to an Audi quattro as you can get.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Re: Stepping back from an A4 (idrivequattro)

It depends what you are after....
The GTi is a luxury / sporty VW ... while the WRX is a piece on wheels that moves fast.
If you had an A4 you weren't after the fastest car... you had common sense that speed wasn't everything and the car was nice... And based on that I'd say a GTi is a nice fit.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: Stepping back from an A4 (MB The Body)

I was looking at the classifieds last night actually. I found a nice 87 Supra turbo for only 5KCAD and an RX7 convertible(i think 87) for the same price.
Then there was the 1985 928S for 17KCAD with only 54,000 km, original owner but thats a little bit much.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Re: Stepping back from an A4 (2lowA4)

AHA!!! so ye are going for speed......WRX I tell yah!!! Fast and fun.....AWD.....turbo (granted so are the RX7 and Supra) but still.
To comment on the interior of the WRX. It is really not that bad. Sure it is not an A4, but come on, what is??? Nice bolster seats (real sports seats) good pedal feel, decent steering, easily manipulated with a little trailing throttle oversteer. Cheap......oh hell, get what you want. I hear the Lancer Evo VII is coming. This is where the Pavlovian type drooling comes in......sorry that was very Machavelian of me.

·
Registered
2017 Golf Alltrack is38
1,115 Posts
Re: Stepping back from an A4 (idrivequattro)

I have been considering stepping back to something simpler for some time now. I've always been interested in an A2 GTI or Jetta with a VR6 swap.

[Modified by BahnFIRE, 12:28 AM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
118 Posts
You Like Handling???

Just my experience....If you don't need a backseat...get a Miata...Or MR2
Not necessarilly way cheaper than a 2002 A4, but I drove both cars before and 2 seat Pocket Roadsters can outpace anything in the twisties...Their Fun...
I got an A4 because I also like good Handling (& goodlooking) cars that can also Haul my small family...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.