VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been brought up in these forums before but I have yet to find an answer. So has anyone been able to stop the stereo from clipping the sound without replacing the whole head unit? My car is 5 days old and the thought of cracking it open to replace the stero already really gets to me but every time that stereo clips the sound a little part of me screams out in annoyance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Stereo clipping (user name unknown)

I really don't want to do that. I'd lose my SAT Radio and I'm guessing that I would lose my stereo control on my steering wheel as well. Both of which I've come to really like.

·
Banned
19,340 Posts
Re: Stereo clipping (Trickah)

Quote, originally posted by Trickah »
I really don't want to do that. I'd lose my SAT Radio and I'm guessing that I would lose my stereo control on my steering wheel as well. Both of which I've come to really like.

If you were to buy an aftermarket headunit that was SAT radio ready, you would be able to use the satallite radio.
The steering wheel controls...that is a toss up. I am not sure if there is anything available for the MK5 yet to integrate the steering wheel controls to an aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you elaborate more on "clipping"? I'm guessing I have it too. Been having a weird time the past couple days trying to explain to someone what was going on. Seems I'm not alone...
And what does holding down the right silver knob do? Is that advice for SAT radio's only? Mine's just the base.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (doctorit)

I turn it up to a certain volume yet teven at a consistant speed the volume keeps going down then back to where it was. It's highly annoying, even more so when my last vehicle had a decked out stereo that was crystal clear and consistant.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: Stereo clipping (Trickah)

ok, I guess i'll give you all a chance to have a real good laugh at my expense.

The quotes I'm getting to straighten this sound system out in the Gti is anywhere between $900 - $1300. 4 new polk speakers, an amp, JL audio clean sweep unit, installation and y'r at at least $1000, keeping the same head unit and the steering wheel controls. And, after spending the grand my dash will have been all ripped out and I run the risk of some rattles from all of that.
Here's where y'r going to get your laugh. I'm not looking for some powered up sub-woofer sound. I'm looking for volume and clarity. I love my music.
What if a guy installed a power inverter (I know NOTHING about power inverters, ok) and just stuck a Bose wave radio in the back seat somewhere (my back seat NEVER gets used). When I go to sell the car in 3 years my Wave radio goes with me, the inverter can stay.
Everybody is looking for something different, I'm just looking for clarity, tone, volume, zero rattle and zero distortion. AND the saving of about $700 and I can take it with me when I sell the car. If that would work, will it??? the sound is so bad in the car in it's current form.
OK, now have at me, and enjoy y'rselves

·
Registered
308 Posts
So my 8 day old car starting doing this today. Turn up the volume to 12 and slowly loses its level, then all of sudden a burst of sound. Turn it up to 25 and it isn't any louder than 12. This isn't really an amp clipping just a bunk design. Since my XM is hosed too, they will be giving me a new head unit. Hopefully it sounds better as some have indicated.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Re: (revaudi)

iam having the same problem with my gti thats 3 days old. ive noticed the volume getting softer as the speed increases and also yesterday i had the volume at 11 and i could barely hear it so i was messing around with the bass knob and the volume went up to the point where i couldnt hear myself think.wtf? can vw ever have problem free factory radios?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Stereo clipping (jbuck99)

Quote, originally posted by jbuck99 »
What if a guy installed a power inverter (I know NOTHING about power inverters, ok) and just stuck a Bose wave radio in the back seat somewhere (my back seat NEVER gets used). When I go to sell the car in 3 years my Wave radio goes with me, the inverter can stay.

I gotta say that is freakin hilarious!! Do it!! Put the wave radio in!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: (revaudi)

Quote, originally posted by revaudi »
...they will be giving me a new head unit. Hopefully it sounds better as some have indicated.

So is this a known problem for VW? Was it hard to get them to replace it for you? (I would hope not)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: (doctorit)

I originally had an XM problem and showed them on delivery. Now with this issue, they better replace it. It appears to be a known issue here but probably not at the dealers, since mine was the 3rd one they had sold. I could live without XM for a week but she will get serviced on Monday with the freaky radio.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So this is something wrong with the radio and not a "feature"? I thought it was trying to save the speakers or something. From what I can surmise, the volume lowers when it gets a lot of bass input and raises when it doesn't. At least that's how it appears from my car. I have the Sat radio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: (Trickah)

Quote, originally posted by Trickah »
Good to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. Looks like I'll have to take my car in.

I stopped by the dealer yesterday. They looked at me like I had 2 heads and said "I should keep monitoring it". I'm already hating my dealer and its been a week. Won't let it ruin the car for me, but man, what a bunch of useless people.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
You guys are going to the dealer about this? A simple search would prevent you having to do this.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2392167
Quote, originally posted by thread »
It's called "anti-clipping" and I think it's talked about in your owners manual. You can't turn it off, it's meant to protect your speakers from overloading and distortion.
The only way I found to get rid of it was to get a aftermarket HU.

---------------------------------------------------------
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2457856
Quote, originally posted by bikeworks1 »
The nwe GTI has a feature called 'soft clipping' which lowers the volume to help w sound distortion.

Another thread that talks about it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2450471
As you can see, its been discussed several times. I never thought to respond because I didn't think people would work themselves up enough to not notice that it could have been purposely done by VW and it is considered a "feature".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.