VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I purchased a new deck for my car. I have run into a technical issue and was wondering if someone is able to provide me with some suggestions to fix this issue.

The deck works perfectly when my car lights(interior/exterior)
lights are OFF. As soon as I turn the lights ON
the unit stops working and blue screen appears
with a (car negative (-)) message.
Here is a little background info:
purchased a new wiring harness that joins the factory harness and connects to the decks harness. This particular unit works with a 12v dc negative ground system, not sure what that is?
The one wiring harness that is connected to the factory harness has a black wire that says chassis ground (12v-). The deck wiring harness has a black wire that is labeled ground. I connected these two wires together. I think connecting these two wires together could be my issue.
Should I run the wire the wire that is labeled chassis ground to the body? If yes, what kind of wire would I use and how would I connect it to the one of the factory grounds that are located at the base of the doors (2 door golf). What would I connect the decks wiring harness ground to?
Sorry, I wrote an essay, but I want to give as much info as possible.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Re: Stereo help is needed......please.... (THIRD003)

What HU is it? I want to look up this negative ground system
Also I agree with above, where did you wire the rest of the wires. If you simply matched colour to colour from the harness coming off the deck to the factory harness, that is your issue. VW's just have to be that little bit different

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply. I incorrectly connected two wires together, thus giving my this issue.
As for the negative ground system it is how all the new decks are built. It using the negative terminal of the battery as the ground. Very similar to how the cars electrical system works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.