VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the aktiv system in the c. i read the file on how to disable the aktiv system from jay's page. i got everything done but i'm wondering which wires are positive and which ones are negative. is there a way to tell? i have a multi meter but i dont know how to use it.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Re: stereo install.. (DonSessoG60)

this is an easy way to tell which one are pos and which are negative. you will be able to hear the difference. Ok this is what u do. plug in the speakers and dont worry about which one is pos and which one is negative. turn on ur stereo and turn the balance all the way to one side. and then after that turn it the balance to the middle. if u hear less bass when the balance is in the middle than if it is on only one side, then it means ur got the pos and neg switched. ok

[Modified by Longboarder, 10:19 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: stereo install.. (DonSessoG60)

Ditto, to what Longboarder said.....now let me add to it. You still want to know which wire is the positive one, as the speakers were designed to work properly connected. I use a 9 volt battery to test the speakers, using the positive and negative post on the battery I connect it to the speaker in question, when connected correctly the speaker should pop up. Do not worry about ruining the speakers you have, as this is an old trick that is used by many mobile audio install shops.
Oh, by the way of it is too hard for you to tell if the speaker is popping up, you can use a light wieght material (button, popcorn kernel, etc) just make sure it can not be magnetized. if it pops up the object will "pop" off of it, if it is sinking in the object may still POP off, but you can tell the difference in action/hieght.
Hope this helps.

[Modified by TexasCorradoG60, 8:21 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Re: stereo install.. (Longboarder)

What Longboarder was describing was actually what happens when you get two speakers wired out of phase, which means that the +/- terminals on one are wired oppositely than on the other. This is what kills off the bass frequencies. In order to fix it, all you need to do is to switch the two wires on ONE of the sides. ONE only, not both, 'cause if you switch both, they'll just end up out of phase again.
-Tim

·
Registered
13,384 Posts
Re: stereo install.. (TexasCorradoG60)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ditto, to what Longboarder said.....now let me add to it. You still want to know which wire is the positive one, as the speakers were designed to work properly connected. I use a 9 volt battery to test the speakers, using the positive and negative post on the battery I connect it to the speaker in question, when connected correctly the speaker should pop up. Do not worry about ruining the speakers you have, as this is an old trick that is used by many mobile audio install shops.
Oh, by the way of it is too hard for you to tell if the speaker is popping up, you can use a light wieght material (button, popcorn kernel, etc) just make sure it can not be magnetized. if it pops up the object will "pop" off of it, if it is sinking in the object may still POP off, but you can tell the difference in action/hieght.
Hope this helps.
[Modified by TexasCorradoG60, 8:21 AM 4-10-2002][HR][/HR]​
ahhhhh yes the old polarity test, I prefer the D cell battery 1.5V better. But yes both will work. Just remember if one speaker pops out and you wire it up, say you installed new speaker wire, asthe wire with a stripe wire going to the + and the non_striped wire going to the -, just remember to do the same for the other speakers to keep them in phase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts