VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need the color for the ignition wire for my sterio i currently have it setup like this

12v+ Battery = Red (white stripe)
Illumination = Grey/Blue
Ground = Brown
Ignition Wire = ???

i have a green, red, and white wires on the left side of the compartment, could one of these be my ignition wire?

1992 (Late) Volkswagen Golf GLI 5dr.

im pretty sure this is the early mkIII

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so i opened up the box on my steering wheel and i have a yellow and black THICK wire on the right of the steering wheel (coming out of the windscreen wiper switch) is this the defroster wire and should i wire my ignition switch to this?. would like to check before i start messing with them.
Thanks

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks i used the defroster switch ;), the only problem now is the antenna wire, i have the thick black one but not the power antenna, charts say it is white, and i have a white wire, but it doesnt send my antenna up when i select radio on my head unit, i also have a green(maybe brown), red and white on the left side of my radio compartment. thanks

also my car has the mkIII body style but the stereo cables were some colours from a mkII and most of the colours from a mkIII. so if i didnt have the colour the mkIII list said i would look at the mkII equivilent and have it.

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,646 Posts
(first: sorry. I forget sometimes about those funky really-early MkIIIs.)

Make & model of headunit? Are you sure that you're using the correct turn-on wire on it?
I ask that because many have two turn-on (blue) wires; and, not all have an operable "antenna" wire ('use amp turn-on' is what the manual may say.) FWIW, my Kenwood KDC-X995 (not the cheapest HU) is this way.

And, are you sure that your antenna turn-on wire (in the car) is in the harness? Many VWs have that on the antenna cable, not in the harness. Something to check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
my Head unit is a JVC KD-R326 DUAL AUX CD/MP3/RADIO RECEIVER, and it has a blue wire with a label on it saying "Power Antenna", i also have a AMP one which says i can connect my auto antenna to it aswell as an amp, this wire is blue and white. and i have my white cable from the left of the compartment plugged into the "Power Antenna" wire (just took out my glove box and found the red, brown, and white cables come from the antenna)., my antenna is supposed to go up when i have radio turned on on my stereo but it doesn't, it used to with the old stereo but now it doesnt. thanks. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.