VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F1 McLaren boss to head to NASCAR: Steve Hallam, McLaren's head of race operations, is to leave the team at the end of this year to move to NASCAR. Hallam joined McLaren in 1990 after almost a decade at Lotus, where he race engineered for Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna. Having helped engineer Mika Hakkinen to world title success with McLaren in 1998 and 1999, Hallam moved to a more senior role within the team's race engineering department. McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh has paid tribute to Hallam's contribution to the team. "Since joining us in 1990, Steve has become a senior member of our track operations team, doing a fantastic job," explained Whitmarsh. "He informed us of his decision to leave some time ago but, since he is totally professional, it goes without saying that we are entirely comfortable with his continuing his work with us until the end of the season. Next year we will all miss him greatly, but we nonetheless wish him all the very best in his new adventure." Hallam is to take up a senior position in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.(Autosport)(9-13-2008)

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'21 Jeep JTR '12 A4q
18,854 Posts
Re: Steve Hallam to NASCAR. (SoCal_SFVR6)

is this a position for NASCAR or a race team? it seems crazy that nascar would hire a "foreigner" to head up a division. unless he's going to run the newly purchased grand am series.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SoCal_SFVR6 »
Nothing wrong with a carburetor.

Absolutely right.
It's just so irrelevant in 2008.
There's absolutely no cost benefit and it makes a high tech sport look like a hobby.
*edit* We've made the big jump to unleaded fuel, now lets put cats and fuel injection to approximate the 'stock' part of stock cars.
Data aquisition and fuel injection in 2009!!!!!

Modified by franz131 at 6:05 AM 9/16/2008

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Re: Steve Hallam to NASCAR. (franz131)

Quote, originally posted by franz131 »

Absolutely right.
It's just so irrelevant in 2008.
There's absolutely no cost benefit and it makes a high tech sport look like a hobby.
*edit* We've made the big jump to unleaded fuel, now lets put cats and fuel injection to approximate the 'stock' part of stock cars.
Data aquisition and fuel injection in 2009!!!!!

Modified by franz131 at 6:05 AM 9/16/2008

An EFI system is much harder to police from nascar's point of view. EFIs can hide all sorts of nifty tricks like Traction control, easily adjustable timing and fuel trim. While it would make a lot of things very interesting, it would widen the money gap even further.
Also, you are out of the loop if you think onboard data aquisition isn't going on.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
10,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Steve Hallam to NASCAR. (b2m_vw)

On a F1/NASCAR related note, it seems that poor old AJ Allmendinger is finally going to be replaced by Scott Speed. I think everybody saw that comming, but I feel bad for the guy. He supposidly is going to Ganassi and driving the 41 car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Somebody sounds like they look at the Jayski (me too). I feel bad for guys like Allmendinger because right now if you're not with Hendrick, Gibbs, Roush, or Childress, you're pretty much at a disadvantage because the equipment of the 4 above are so much better than everyone else. I would to see guys like Montoya, Hornish, and Allmendiner get into some top notch cars to see how good they really are, especially Montoya.

·
Banned
10,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Steve Hallam to NASCAR. (b2m_vw)

Jayski is god. Lol That site is correct on it's rumors about 50% of the time, so I always check it in the morning. I agree with you about being one of the 4 big teams, but Brian Vickers has had a couple of great runs in the RedBull Camry and Kurt Busch always seems to get himself a couple of wins in a Dodge, over the past few seasons. Kasey Kahne is incredibly inconsistant, but get's the majority of Dodge's sucess.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'21 Jeep JTR '12 A4q
18,854 Posts

here's a little food for thought: a saturday night racer will spend $2500-3500 on a "stock-appearing" carb that will flow nearly 2x as much. and that's a saturday night guy. imagine what the professionals spend.
Hendrick, Childress, Roush, and Gibbs are the predominant teams, and have been over the last twenty years. in the last twenty years, only 3 drivers have won the championships that didn't drive for those 4: Wallace, Kulwicki, and Jarrett.
Ganassi and Evernham are at a disadvantage with the Dodge. something isn't right within Dodge's program. part of it is the switching from Avenger to Intrepid to Charger, which takes away from R&D time on the new car. Ganassi also hasn't had top-tier driver talent for a while. McMurray- where's he in the R-F team? sucking balls, again. Montoya will take time to develop, and even longer with a sub-par crew chief.
Evernham has been through major organizational changes, and they were put behind by their chief engineer who messed up the baseline for all their testing and applications. Kasey is fast, but he also doesn't have a proven veteran to bounce things off of. Sadler's good, but he's better suited to Nationwide cars.
Penske, Petty, MWR, and the various 1-car teams are missing the obvious talent, behind the team and/or behind the wheel. And some can't compete on $$$.
Next year look for Tony Stewart struggling to make the top 15. For him to be a contender, he'll need to hire Kyle Busch's shock guy.
Remember this is racing. Someone's gotta be last.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: Steve Hallam to NASCAR. (GreenandChrome)

I think Tony will surprise a lot of people, maybe not next season, but sooner than later. In any other circumstance, he wouldn't, but I think that since he will be an extension of Hendrick, Hendrick will show a lot more support to him then he has to that team in the past with drivers like Riggs and Mayfield. Hendrick took Jr.'s Nationwide team to the next level when Jr and Hendrick joined. I expect the same type of thing to happen with Stewart and Hendrick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.