VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so long story short old turbo went put in brand new borgwarner ko3 sport. My car is a 2002 station wagon with a 1.8t awp. After new turbo install it will only let me build like 4 pounds. i have replaced numerous vacuum lines, have a forge 008 dv with the 15-23 pound spring, replaced map sensor and n75 valve, redid the lines on the n75, new crankcase vent, and have a stage 1.5 ecu. Now with all of that brand new i still have not fixed the issue im am lead to believe maybe my n249 might be bad or i have the hoses plumbed wrong but cant find a diagram on where the hoses go to from it. only reason it has new lines is because i accidentally broke the small plastic lines. if anyone has some input or can tell me ways to test if that is bad that would be great

also have had a diverter valve mechanical failure code or something like that got it when the issue first arrived so i bought the forge 008

·
Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
494 Posts
Can you post a VCDS scan of your car?

If you could log the rpm, desired boost, and actual boost during a third gear pull using VCDS or Visual ME7Logger, it could tell us if you're in limp mode, among other things.

List of ME7Logger variables:
nmot_w - Engine Speed
mshfm_w - Boost Pressure Desired
plsol_w - Boost Pressure Actual
vfil_w - Vehicle Speed
mshfm_w - Mass Air Flow

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you could log the rpm, desired boost, and actual boost during a third gear pull using VCDS or Visual ME7Logger, it could tell us if you're in limp mode, among other things.

nmot_w - Engine Speed
vfil_w - Vehicle Speed
mshfm_w - Mass Air Flow
I dont believe I have any way of doing a data log I have a $120 VW scan tool from Amazon. It can tap into the ecu and read what data the ecu is getting but Im not sure if it can data log

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

nmot_w - Engine Speed
vfil_w - Vehicle Speed
mshfm_w - Mass Air Flow
okay so i forgot to put this in the post but when i do try to step on it i can hear the dv start opening before i let of the gas which after some research lead me to believe possibly the n249 is bad

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's best to use a VCDS cable with Volkswagens. A cheap cable can be had for $13. Search "409.1 KKL FTDI" on eBay.
Then you can use the free version of VCDS Lite to post an auto-scan which will help us help you.
How to post an Auto-Scan | Ross-Tech Forums

Does your scanner pull any error codes from the ECM?

Is there vacuum coming from the N249 during idle? it should be closed most of the time and only activate when it needs to recirculate boost.
Here's a diagram of the vacuum lines if it helps any.

Font Rectangle Slope Schematic Parallel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's best to use a VCDS cable with Volkswagens. A cheap cable can be had for $13. Search "409.1 KKL FTDI" on eBay.
Then you can use the free version of VCDS Lite to post an auto-scan which will help us help you.
How to post an Auto-Scan | Ross-Tech Forums

Does your scanner pull any error codes from the ECM?

Is there vacuum coming from the N249 during idle? it should be closed most of the time and only activate when it needs to recirculate boost.
Here's a diagram of the vacuum lines if it helps any.

View attachment 147024
I was looking at it today and idk why but the nipple right under the plug in the n249 was just capped off could it be a previous owner tried bypassing it if so where would the other line be

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yep the one you're holding is the n112 which is the valve that controls the SAI combination valve. It's supposed to be capped off like that.

The n249 is the valve to the right of it. Check the diagram above and double check your plumbing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Actually, are you missing the bracket that holds all that stuff down? I noticed the n249 is ziptied to the mounting hole.

That bracket holds the dipstick down. I noticed that when I tried to drive with my dipstick removed, it had absolutely no power and wouldn't build boost. Maybe that's the problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, are you missing the bracket that holds all that stuff down? I noticed the n249 is ziptied to the mounting hole.

That bracket holds the dipstick down. I noticed that when I tried to drive with my dipstick removed, it had absolutely no power and wouldn't build boost. Maybe that's the problem?
Yeah I took the bracket off because my pcv valve split apart and I had to replace it so it was a headache to get out of the way to I left it off but my dipstick tube is actually held in tight I can't pull it off without giving it a good amount of force

Also could it be possible that I flopped the vacuum lines between the vacuum reservoir and the dv I read that they are both connected to the n249

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I personally would go ahead and delete all of that crap. N249, N112, DV, SAI, PCV, EGR etc. Everything. Makes working around the engine so much easier and clears up cluttter.

Makes diagnosing less of a headache too.

Is your N75 valve plumbed in correctly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts