1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried reading all the scca rules
and even talkin to one guy and i still dont know what class i would be in
i was goin for street prepared since
(1.7, 82 scirocco) since i dont have anything special. but i gutted the interior and someone said thats race prepared .
heres the details
82 scirocco
1.7 8v, interior is almost all gone 16v rocco lower stress bars
right now springs are stock but i am gettin H&R race and Bilstien
someone help this pondering mind

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Re: still puzzled (GoFish)

The classification is called "Prepared" and your friend is correct, b/c you've pulled the interior, the car is considered Prepared. Unfortunately this is a common trap that new autocrosses get stuck with - they prepare the car to their specifications only to discover that SCCA (or whatever local santioning body they compete with) classifies the car uncompetitively b/c of their mods.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: still puzzled (mgyip)

once i get the new engine in it i will be able to compete with em after some practice but i guess i have to run with em now with the 8 valves of fuery
thanks for the info

·
Banned
5,229 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GoFish »
once i get the new engine in it i will be able to compete with em after some practice
Probably not this year but maybe next. The learning curve is ALWAYS steeper than you think.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: still puzzled (vuu16v)

engine wont be in till next year
prob should have mentioned that
i know i wont be able to compete with em yet...
gotta start somewhere

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

A problem you might have (with your future engine) with "prepared" is that some engine mods are specific. Things like valve sizes are noted. Also, Prep has a minimum weight for each car.
An engine swap/change, i.e. 2.0l 16v, would bump you to a MOD class.

Modified by Charles R at 6:49 PM 6-2-2003

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
Re: still puzzled (Charles R)

Quote, originally posted by Charles R »
A problem you might have (with your future engine) with "prepared" is that some engine mods are specific. Things like valve sizes are noted. Also, Prep has a minimum weight for each car.
An engine swap/change, i.e. 2.0l 16v, would bump you to a MOD class.

Modified by Charles R at 6:49 PM 6-2-2003
So, what we are saying is with an interior, "you's a contendah". Without and you're non-competitive. Most people say "that's fine, I just wanna have fun", until you're there.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: still puzzled (vuu16v)

I spent a lot of years at the back of the pack in my old Civic. I had replaced my dash with a sheetmetal unit and that bumped me to MOD. I always had fun though, and the people who, "knew me back when..." really got a kick when the car finally started being reasonably competitive.
But for me, the competition is secondary. I just like to build fun cars and drive them fast. As long as I don't come in dead last, that is.
My replacement Civic will be every bit the underdog the first one was. It will just be running with a faster crowd. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
And it will be fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: still puzzled (Charles R)

Remeber, it's your first year, nobody is expecting anything from you except yourself. All you need to do are learn how to drive Auto-X and have fun. Don't worry about the small stuff and you will find your way to Cone Heaven. As you race, you will find other people doing what you want to do, ask many questions of these people. Some are worth their weight in Gold.
Once again, to recap;
1. Go drive, often.
2 Have fun. If your not having fun, it's not really what you want to do.
3 Learn from your class mates. They have been in your shoes at one time and most want to help you to become a tough class competitor.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: still puzzled (Chopjob)

ok well sellin rocco
got 84 gti
should be ready for this seasom soon
thanks fro all your opinions
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts