VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Re: STM Dave runs [email protected] (Us2bA4dr)

Quote, originally posted by Us2bA4dr »
that's sweet, need more fast vw's out there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

That brings back a thought I always have.I always see guys on this site talking big numbers and saying all the crap they can come up with about how bad Import guys are and how much they suck.
But you never really see guys like this dude around,in the fast/faster world of VW's he really seems to be one that stands out.
But when I watch the style-fest shows import drags type events I only really remember seeing one silver Corrado (iirc) that runs on the regular and a handfull of VW bugs.
Am I watching the wrong shows or expecting too much??I know someone will bring up that the aftyermarket is too small but I say thats crap,there are tuners for VW's in nearly every state and parts and pieces can be ordered in from nearly anywhere.
Not starting a bash fest but more trying to see why there aren't more folks around like this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: STM Dave runs [email protected] (babydaddy)

I think marketing in general has a big factor...When did street racing imports and or tunning your car become a mainstream sub-culture? About the time of the movie Fast and the Furious...What brands of cars were in that movie? Honda, Toyota, Acura....and so on. That movie kick started a craze for street racing and tuning. Volkswagen, BMW, Volvo, and Audi weren't part of that and so the knowledge of German tunner cars is not well known.
Also Japanese tuner cars cheaper and easier to work on and modify in a DIY perspective. Also Japanese tunners probably outnumber German tunners 3 to 1. Easier to get a hold of a cheap decent civic than a decent Volkswagen

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Re: STM Dave runs [email protected] (Skubydu_24)

You were in wenatchee? I used to live there

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Re: STM Dave runs [email protected] (Skubydu_24)

Well I'd like to say that i agree with you but I can't not 100%.When you look at parts that make power the pricing is pretty damn close maybe even the same.look at SC's and turbos'.exhaust,chip tuning,carbon fiber pieces internal pieces.cams,rods,and so on they all run neck in neck in prices. And i haven't seen a machine shop that is gonna over charge you for having a VW then if you have a Honda,Acura,Toyota.

So in a round about way are you saying that its the tuner-shops fault that they don't want a bigger following or customers?I remember seeing some numbers on website hits and size or member base and this one was in the top five or top three of sites visited on-line and now every thread had an pop under showing tuner shops and parts and pieces for sale.
And in the F&F movies there was a jetta in there that had a decent roll in the movie.And from what I remember every post I saw on this site downed it and called it crap.
As far as pricing of the cars I've bought about 8 vw's under 1000.00 and five or six of them were between 50.00-500.00 so I don't see the debate there.its hard to come across a mid 90's civic,accord,integra or crx or 350.00 that runs and is ready to work on.
Again not arguing just trying to show that there is an aftermarket and the parts that make power that's readily available to german vs.japanese tuners/enthusiast

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: STM Dave runs [email protected] (babydaddy)

No I agree with you, I completly had a brain fart about the Volkswagen in F&F. I just don't think the style of what is cool on a japanese tunner is cool in the eyes of a German tunner. I don't think a civic has better performance by any means.
Back to the Jetta in F&F it was kitted up and vinyl stickers and the whole nine yards. That is a different style than what is seen as Euro-tuning. And most on this forum will tell you that car was crap.
I think it is just a trend thing and more people are into the Japanese tuning scene now. But the German/European scene has grown significantly in the past few years. At least in the US
This Forum is all german and european cars and the tunner shops you see are specifically for those makes of cars
Im not arguing either I just don't think German tunning scene in the US is as popular as the Japanese tunning scene is.
How many Volkswagens were at Hot Import Nights in seattle?
Now how many Civics are at Waterfest?
I know waterfest is for German cars but that is probably because nobody was appreciating or supporting German cars/style at import scene that was dominated by Japanese cars/style. So they came up with a new show to display the German style to get a better support and appreciation.
So trend and what is "HOT or COOL" at the time is what effects the outcome of amount of money spent at tuner shops

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.