VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mk7 Golf R owners,

I'm gathering some information on MK7 Golf R owners with a manual transmission and have experienced any issues with the transmission, shifting, clutch slippage, flywheel, pressure plate components that a dealership has diagnosed and would not replace/ repair under the manufacture powertrain warranty.

I have a 2017 MK7 R with the manual transmission, the R has 22,000 mile on it and I have had to take it back to VW service for sporadic difficulty engaging reverse, 1st and 2nd gear. There has been a few times of what seems like excessive drivetrain noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. In every instance the VW service department could not recreate the problem. My most recent problem with clutch slippage was determined to be a problem and VW took out the trans and found hot spots on flywheel, pressure plate,and clutch. VW told me it would not be covered and the driver of the car has abused the car and had bad driving habits. This accusation is so far from the truth, I have owned many VW's and other cars with standard trans and never replace a clutch due to failure or "abuse".

I called VW of America and they created a case and then they contact my servicing VW dealership for their diagnosis. They shared what they found with VW of America and the dealer would not replace any clutch part or component due to abuse. VW of America called me with the dealerships decision and I was told because this is an independent dealership, VW of America can't force them to honor the warranty due to their findings of neglect.

An additional note, I asked my case worker at VW of America if they could compile data to identify the number of issues with the clutch/ pressure plate/ flywheel while inside the manufacture warranty. I also asked if she could find out when the last research and development was conducted on the Golf R clutch and components? I was told that the information was available but for internal use and would not be shared.

Moving forward, I ask that you post a response only if you had issues with the factory stock car and stage 1 modification. The drivetrain components should be designed to handle a certain % over stock performance expectation.

I plan to compile the issues and take the numbers to VW of America.

I thank those MK7 R owners who provide info on their drivetrain issues.

Thank you,
Sam

· Registered
814 Posts
I had to get to almost the bottom of the email to discover you are Stage I?

I’m not trying to be an ass but with a tune you don’t have a leg to stand on. Just be glad they didn’t TD1 you.

Clutch slippage with tunes is thoroughly documented in the forums. Pay to play.

· Registered
530 Posts
This is timely, because on the way home, I floored it, clutch slipped - 26.7k and stock tune.

However, since you have stage 1, I'm not in the same situation. I'm debating whether going to the dealer and complaining/opening a case with VW - even if I get a new clutch I'll be in the same boat in 2 years. Or I can just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket clutch. Probably gonna start a new thread because I have questions about one of the options...

· Registered
7,980 Posts
This is timely, because on the way home, I floored it, clutch slipped - 26.7k and stock tune.
I'm at 35k miles and mine is fine - so far. If I'm in your shoes at that mileage, with no aftermarket tune, I'd be ALL over VWoA to cover it under warranty. Sure, a clutch is a "wear item", but NFW it should wear out that prematurely - 80-100k or more miles is a reasonable expectation if it's not being beaten to death.

Tuned? Yeah, you're SOL. Anyone tuning should automatically assume they will need to upgrade the clutch sooner than later. Expecting any warranty sympathy is unrealistic.

· Registered
530 Posts
I'm at 35k miles and mine is fine - so far. If I'm in your shoes at that mileage, with no aftermarket tune, I'd be ALL over VWoA to cover it under warranty. Sure, a clutch is a "wear item", but NFW it should wear out that prematurely - 80-100k or more miles is a reasonable expectation if it's not being beaten to death.

Tuned? Yeah, you're SOL. Anyone tuning should automatically assume they will need to upgrade the clutch sooner than later. Expecting any warranty sympathy is unrealistic.
How's your driving style? Not that I'm dumping the clutch - but I am a spirited driver. OK, I actually kinda dumped the clutch when trying to scoot through a busy intersection the other day. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back...

· Registered
154 Posts
How's your driving style? Not that I'm dumping the clutch - but I am a spirited driver. OK, I actually kinda dumped the clutch when trying to scoot through a busy intersection the other day. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back...
With a moderate, clutch friendly driving style, you might get semi decent life out of your oem clutch, but the clutch doesn't have a chance with any kind
of tune and/or aggressive driving style. Good luck, OP. IMO, you shouldn't expect anything from VWoA.

· Registered
441 Posts
Clutch is a wear item to begin with, and with a stage 1 tune? You are lucky it lasted 22k tbh. It's pretty well documented the clutches on these things are like paper and is usually one of the first upgrades for manual guys after getting tuned as they are on borrowed time with any increase in power.
GL getting any sympathy from VWoA. If you are tuned as the saying goes, pay to play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
75 Posts
12k miles and 100% stock it started. I get slippage when it’s warmer that 60 degrees outside. When it’s cold it rips hard still. Haven’t had a chance to call the dealer yet as it’s always cold out. But I want to! 16k miles now. Been driving manual VW and BMW cars for 20 years, this is my first clutch slip ever so kinda shocked. Def not my driving style.

I’ve read a few places the slippage on stock cars could be due to weak rear main seals leaking oil onto the clutch resulting in a slippage. Complete BS but can’t prove unless you take apart. If it’s not that, you’re paying dealer labor costs to replace a clutch. Blehhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
410 Posts
The drivetrain components should be designed to handle a certain % over stock performance expectation.
Where do you draw the line? 10%? 25%? That drives up cost and no manufacturer is going to beef up their drivetrain on the off chance a few buyers might modify their cars for more performance. It's called 'pay to play'.

stage 1 modification
Game over.

A clutch is a wear item. Not sure why this is a problem....
It is a wear item, no one is going to dispute that. But clutches lasting less than 20k miles on a stock vehicle? That's ridiculous.

· Registered
530 Posts
12k miles and 100% stock it started. I get slippage when it’s warmer that 60 degrees outside. When it’s cold it rips hard still. Haven’t had a chance to call the dealer yet as it’s always cold out. But I want to! 16k miles now. Been driving manual VW and BMW cars for 20 years, this is my first clutch slip ever so kinda shocked. Def not my driving style.

I’ve read a few places the slippage on stock cars could be due to weak rear main seals leaking oil onto the clutch resulting in a slippage. Complete BS but can’t prove unless you take apart. If it’s not that, you’re paying dealer labor costs to replace a clutch. Blehhh

This is interesting on rear main seal. I know one of the aftermarket clutch kits comes with an upgraded rear main seal. Also I’ve been loosing a wee bit of oil between changes (about 3/4 quart)

· Registered
2,904 Posts
Unless you're under 20,000km (or whatever the USA equivalent is) the warranty for wear and tear items is expired. Sometimes they'll goodwill it if you get the service done there and its stock.

Trying to get a clutch from VWoA when you're tuned? Good luck. :facepalm:

· Registered
7,980 Posts
Pretty tame. And I've always been easy on clutches, even when driving more "spiritedly" than I have in recent years. I can't remember the last time I dumped the clutch on ANY car, it's probably been decades.

· Registered
685 Posts
Moving forward, I ask that you post a response only if you had issues with the factory stock car and stage 1 modification. The drivetrain components should be designed to handle a certain % over stock performance expectation.

I plan to compile the issues and take the numbers to VW of America.

I thank those MK7 R owners who provide info on their drivetrain issues.

Thank you,
Sam
I would not be adding people who have stage 1 mods to your compiled list of people having issues, you immediately invalidate your data in their eyes and they'll toss out your complaint. Stick to stock cars having the issue and best of luck.

or just get a south bend stage 2 daily and enjoy a clutch that will handle stock powers (and stage 1) for a lot of miles.

· Registered
888 Posts
Lol @ thinking a modified (Stage 1) car should be considered for a warranty clutch replacement.

You increased your power output beyond what VW intended. That's 110% on you chief

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.