VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to get me some dsr 256's then do my turbo and I was wondering if these cams work well w/ forced induction or not? what kind of hp gains will the cams make w/ the turbo? If the gains aren't worth it then I'll just skip the cams and be able to get the turbo faster. any experience with this? thanks.

·
Administrator
87,828 Posts
Re: stock or 256 cams for turbo? (98scvr6)

I've got a lowly supercharger, not a turbo...
But let me tell you the way I look at it (from the butt dyno).
I felt some *slight* gains across the board (no spikes, just nice linear but modest gains).
If I look back and think, "was it worth it?" my first gutt-reaction response would be NO.
BUT:
The one thing the cams did for me (and this is important since my charger sees peak HP at redline) is make it very nice for me to go to redline. They pull strongly (not as well as 268's but they aren't good for FI so I hear).
Where the stock cams fall on their face these 256's take over. Again, nothing like the 268's with 'na' but they make going over stock redline nice.
Of course, if you have a turbo making most of it's power in the middle then maybe that doesn't matter to you.
But for me and my s/c, well worth their cost/pain of install.
I'm no motor head and am not technical enough to look at it from a racers' standpoint, just a little guys honest opinion.
Is it a good guess that the rest of you turbo guys (at least the majority) would suggest he keep his stockers in????
Later,

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: stock or 256 cams for turbo? (nater)

thanx, I'd trust the ol' butt dyno over a normal one any day. maybe I'll get the turbo first then get the 256's afterwards when I have some extra loot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts