VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever add subs and an amp to the factory set up. I don't want to get into replacing all the stuff in my Jetta but would like to add some bass. Is this possible with the stock headunit and factory set-up?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: Stock stereo system... (Livnlow)

You may want to check out the Car Audio Forum for some good info. I saw something on crutchfields website that was kindof neat though. MTX makes a form fitted box with a built in amp that is moulded to the passenger side of the trunk co i does not take up any usable trunk space--and you already have a power supply back there. Im not sure about the sound quality though! --Good Luck!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
675 Posts
Re: Stock stereo system... (Vdub16v)

I tried just adding a sub to the stock head unit and it sounded horrible. You have no control over the frequencies sent to the subwoofer and no control over sub volume. The only way to make the system sound decent is to add an aftermarket head unit and wire it up to the monsoon amp.

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Re: Stock stereo system... (VR_Zoom)

you can, but you'd need to hook up a filter so only bass is reaching your amp for the sub and I'd attach it to the rear speaker wires.
So you can shift the sound forward and backward which will help increase / decrease the sub and then you can also use the bass control setting.

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts

It can be done easily enough, but as someone else stated it needs an Equalizer to filter the bass.
You can do that, but most eq's worth the $$ aren't cheap. I rec. Audiocontrol's Three.1 Eq. Half a din size, can be hidden in the glove box on that little shelf.
Either that or invest some money into an Xtant or JL sub amp. Their sub amps have good crossovers built in, and can easily pull a high-level (speaker level) signal and convert it to thump.
JL also makes a stealthbox, using a single 10w3 sub that fits over the spare tire in our cars. It is fiberglass and MDF and could cost 3 times the price and I would still want it. (BTW--> I am gonna buy it soon...)
Here's the link to their site: http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/jettaIV.html
Good Luck. And if you wanna swap, the Eclipse, Kenwood Excelon, and silver faceplate Alpines look super in these cars.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Stock stereo system... (DeeJoker)

From reading the posts, tell me would this work:
Aftermarket Headunit and still using monsoon amp with stock speakers and then adding a pair of subs and an amp? Is it a pain to wire up the stock set-up to a new radio? I hate to lose the monsoon sound and have to buy all new stuff.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyone here ever add subs and an amp to the factory set up. I don't want to get into replacing all the stuff in my Jetta but would like to add some bass. Is this possible with the stock headunit and factory set-up?[HR][/HR]​
I have the stock HU and speakers (not monsoon) along with a Phoenix Gold amp and a 500W Polk Momo sub. You would be surprised how great this set up is! With the bass at about 60% on the sub and turned down to 0 or 1 on the HU, everything is clear as day at max level and the bass is BUMPIN! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem. If you are near Rockville, stop by my store (Tweeter) on Old Georgetown Rd. I can give you some ideas and pricing. Monsoons are slightly more of a PITA to work with, so if you have any concerns about doing it yerself, I have a couple excellent installers. One was installer of the year last year in Tweeter.
The lines for the sub amp typically are tapped into the rear speakers, btw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.