VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of snow driving experience and this car is great except for stopping. The Abs kicks in and it will not stop. I blew thru 3 intersections today and I was being careful. Does anybody have this issue.

Mike

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
1. It is a very very heavy SUV
2. What tires are u using?
3. What are u comparing it to?
My Touareg stopped great in the snow with Nokian WRs. Now I have Toyo proxies and it sucks. Whoever recommended those tires are nuts. I get a screech and tire slip every hard stop on dry surface roads. Type of tires make a huge difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Tahoe12)

I had the Toyo proxy s/t and they were decent for a year round tire. But I had the same issue with the ABS. Now I have the newer proxy s/t's and they are the same for stopping. I could stop better if I could lock them up!! I am a snow removal contractor and I have driven lots of different vehical. Again it is just the stopping. If this continues I might need to get winter rims and tires!!

Mike

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: (mikew968)

Judging by the tread pattern on those tires, they don't look like something that will be great friends with snow. Also, it appears that they may have more of a performance-oriented bend to them, meaning they may be a soft rubber compound that gets hard in the cold, further hindering their capabilities.
What size are you running?
Matt

·
Registered
50,745 Posts
Re: (VegasMatt)

Quote, originally posted by VegasMatt »
Judging by the tread pattern on those tires, they don't look like something that will be great friends with snow. Also, it appears that they may have more of a performance-oriented bend to them, meaning they may be a soft rubber compound that gets hard in the cold, further hindering their capabilities.
What size are you running?
Matt

Looks like summer tires to me.

Buy some Nokians:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain and still debating which route to go. I have 19's and the truck is great except for stopping. I was going to the hospital as my wife was in labor and driving through a few inches of snow I almost tagged a cargo van in front of me at a light... and I had plenty of room to stop, had to make an evasive manuveur to the curb and a little off roading to avoid him, but it scared the crap out of me. I also have had much success with other 4x4 vehicles, even stopping.... but do I buy 19" nokians now for year round or a spare 17s with nokians for the winter?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Re: (Flatliner)

Assuming you have the storage space, I'd get the spare 17" rims (w/TPMS) for dedicated off-road/snow tires.
If you don't own an impact wrench, you might stop by local pawn shops. I bought a relatively new DeWalt impact wrench (electric) for $90 from a local pawn shop a couple of years ago. Combined with a floor jack and torque wrench, an impact wrench makes quick work of swapping wheels. I can (and do) swap my wheels in less than 30 minutes...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find the grip on the Proxy st II to be good in the snow except for stopping. Are there 17" takeoffs around as winter wheels and tires may be the best best.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use the gears to slow the car first - the tiptronic will do this as well as a manual. Don't forget to cancel cruise control.
I can bring my Treg down to walking pace even on a steep downhill by just gently knocking back a gear at a time, but make sure the vehicles behind keeps their distance by touching the brake pedal occasionally too otherwise sometimes otrher drivers are too stupid to realise you are slowing and they aren't!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.