VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how you would properly store your car outside? I have a car cover but was wondering if there are anything else I should do?

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
Re: Store your car outside, how? (89VWdieselGolf)

I used to be in the military and stationed north of Syracuse. I frequently had to store my cars through some very bad winters. Although I put them in a garage most of the time, I still stored them in the same way.
1. Make sure you have a tight cover for it.
2. Prop the car up in a stable way and remove the wheels. Clean them of any brake dust and road grime and wrap them in shrink wrap. This will help prevent the tires from being exposed to the elements for so long without being in use. Also, store them inside the car if you can.
3. If you don't plan to start the car during the winter, then remove the battery and also place it on the floor of your car. It helps that you clean the terminals prior to doing that. This will help starting the car in the spring.
4. Make sure you have sufficient gas. If you leave the tank almost empty, condensation will build a lot within the tank and lines. That means that often times, lines will freeze and leave behind water inside of them, which will cause you to have a hard time starting it.
If it snows in your area, try locating a tarp that you can prop about a foot off of the car. This will help if you have trees near by. Small branches tend to fall with the weight of the snow and ding up your roof.

Modified by nemo1ner at 6:02 AM 10-18-2008

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Re: Store your car outside, how? (nemo1ner)

Quote, originally posted by nemo1ner »

1. Make sure you have a tight cover for it.
2. Prop the car up in a stable way and remove the wheels. Clean them of any brake dust and road grime and wrap them in shrink wrap. This will help prevent the tires from being exposed to the elements for so long without being in use. Also, store them inside the car if you can.
3. If you don't plan to start the car during the winter, then remove the battery and also place it on the floor of your car. It helps that you clean the terminals prior to doing that. This will help starting the car in the spring.
4. Make sure you have sufficient gas. If you leave the tank almost empty, condensation will build a lot within the tank and lines. That means that often times, lines will freeze and leave behind water inside of them, which will cause you to have a hard time starting it.
If it snows in your area, try locating a tarp that you can prop about a foot off of the car. This will help if you have trees near by. Small branches tend to fall with the weight of the snow and ding up your roof.
Modified by nemo1ner at 6:02 AM 10-18-2008

i agree with 1 and 4,
but 2) taking the tires off... theres no need... these arent bias ply tires where if they sit for a long time they will get a flat spot. and If its not moving they wont get runined just because of the elements. How do you drive your car through snow and ice. Do those tires disinegrate?
3) remove batt yes.... put INSIDE car NOOOO! i dont want to be breathing in battery acid the first week my car comes out of storage... but then again, thats just me. Put it in your basement on a peice of wood (or just off concrete)
Jeff

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
Re: Store your car outside, how? (89VWdieselGolf)

Quote, originally posted by 89VWdieselGolf »

How do you drive your car through snow and ice. Do those tires disinegrate?
Jeff

The reason for it is because of flat spots. If the car sits for long periods of time on the same part of the tire, it would be the same thing as when you sit on a soccer ball. It becomes slightly lopsided. I left my tires on once, and eventually the thudding drove me to the point that I replaced all of the tires. I shrink wrap them because I am over cautious!

Quote, originally posted by 89VWdieselGolf »

3) remove batt yes.... put INSIDE car NOOOO! i dont want to be breathing in battery acid the first week my car comes out of storage... but then again, thats just me. Put it in your basement on a peice of wood (or just off concrete)
Jeff

That makes sense. The only reason why I put it in the car was because I used to live in the barracks, and we were not allowed to store car batteries in our rooms. So this was simply out of habit. But what you stated makes much more sense. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

On my race car (but would work for a street car too) jack it up and put it on stands, plastic trash bag cover the tires/ wheels, cover the plastic bags with cloth spray booth covers (Harbor freight tools) and then cover the car with cable or tie down running under the chassis.
Plastic tarp with bunggie cords to tie it down front, center and rear...

·
Registered
11,335 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nemo1ner »

The reason for it is because of flat spots. If the car sits for long periods of time on the same part of the tire,

Like i said though, that only applies for old bias ply tires. Radials dont do that anymore

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.