VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
412 Posts
Re: Storing my 20th (NT550)

Either get some kind of storage unit, which I am getting for my 20th, or a portable garage type thing, which I had for me previous car, but wasnt too fond of it, cause critters got in there and made a nest in my engine bay!!!

But what else you should do is put the car on blocks from preventing bald spots and having to go out there every week and try and move it when theres 2 feet of snow and your freezing you nuts off!!!
Another thing you could do, but really isnt neccessary, is disconnect the battery, but if you go and start it evry now and then, doesnt have to be like every week, it shouldnt be a problem...
And also if your almost due for an oil change, then change it...Thast my 2 cents and sorry if its too long http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
353 Posts
Re: Storing my 20th (MyCarIsRatedR)

I just helped my buddy put his RX-7 away for the winter...this is probably not for everyone but first the car was washed and waxed, then jacked up and put on blocks of wood (because cement and steel blocks don't give like wood does, better for the frame) so that the tires are just off the ground, stuff a rag in your tailpipe so no critters get in, take out the battery, and finally place some moth balls under the engine on the floor to keep mice etc away from chewing up the good stuff, cover it and go drink some good old canadian beer

like i said, that is just what we did

· Registered
506 Posts
Re: Storing my 20th (NT550)

Go to your nearest auto store and purchase some FUEL STABILIZER and add it to your tank for storage (VW dealer told me this was recommended)
Also, call you nearest VW dealer about what the appropiate amount of fuel in your tank is, I called and was told before by a dealer, but I forgot, I'll get back to you on that. But, call and ask how much fuel to have in your tank...I think its supposed to be on full, but I can't recall.
Not necessary to put your car up on blocks, but it can't hurt. Your tires will be fine after a few miles on them after out of storage. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
215 Posts
Re: Storing my 20th (v double u)

Quote, originally posted by v double u »
Not necessary to put your car up on blocks, but it can't hurt. Your tires will be fine after a few miles on them after out of storage. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I'd have to disagree with that....once your tires have developed bald spots the tires will continue to wear that way....it will not get better

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Re: (ZoomBoy)

I was told to put drier sheets inside your car. It is suppose to be just like moth balls, but they don't smell bad. I did it with my car and put the drier sheets in my engine compartment. I also put my car up on blocks, but I put the blocks under the front A arms and under the rear bar to keep the tires off of the ground. My uncle who is an old car guy said to get the tires off but keep the suspension were it should be under load with the car on it. Fresh oil change before you store it. Full tank with stabilizer. wash and wax. put a car cover on it. Depending on the surface you store it on you could put a layer of plastic under the car to prevent moisture from coming up to the bottom of the car.
Thanks
justind

· Registered
11,158 Posts
Re: (vwguy3)

Negative to the dryer sheets. Use a box of arm and hammer.
In fact, here's the REAL write-up of what you should do now that I'm at home and have it. Memorize it, live by it for it is the code of storing your vehicle:
1. Wash car. Not half ass. 100% Clean, inside and out. Apply a good wax. vaccum the vehicle. Condition leather seats. Windex windows, inside and out. When you are finished, place an open box of Arm&Hammer baking soda in the passenger compartment. Close all windows and sunroof. The baking soda will inhibit mould to form inside the vehicle while it is stored. If you are storing the vehicle indoors (garage) it is ok to leave one or two windows ever-so-slightly open, as no critters will find their way in.
2. Fill gas tank with fuel (Only needs to be premium if that is what you normally use.) Purpose: Allows no room for moisture to build in the fuel tank, as it is filled with fuel.
3. Add Fuel stabilizer to fuel tank after you have filled the tank of gas. (Avail at Canadian Tire) Purpose: Helps ensures that no moisture builds in fuel tank due to airpocket at top of tank.
4. Keep load on suspension. Two choices: 1 Leave vehicle on ground and put cheap rims and tires on car. (Keeping your tire on the same spot for a long period will cause the tire to develop flat spots. Hence why I recommend cheap/rim/tire for storing purposes.) 2 Raise vehicle and place wooden blocks under both front control arms, and under rear torsion beam. This will maintain load on the suspension, and keep your tires off the floor, avoiding flat spots. Purpose: Your vehicles suspension was designed so that 99.9% of it's life is under load. If you leave your car with it's suspension hanging for a long period of time, it can cause unnecessary wear to most suspension components including strut and springs.
5. Open hood, remove negative battery terminal cable from battery post.
Purpose: You do this so that power is not drained from the battery while it is stored.
6. While under the hood, Remove top of airbox, and place one or two plastic garbage bag around filter. This keeps air and critters from entering the engine. Also, place garbage bags inside tailpipe. NOTE: Please tape a note to your keys, reminding you that you placed plastic in your airbox. Starting your vehicle with plastic in your intake is not a good idea!
7. Car Cover. I purchased mine form Canadian Tire. (Not the premium ones, just a regular blue one. My car was stored indoors, and it did the job.) If you are storing your vehicle outdoors, you may want to invest in a better, premium more expensive car cover.
8. Forgot to add this step. Perform Oil change.

· Registered
1,002 Posts

I wanted to say everything that you said, but I didn't feel like writing all of that. I don't understand the arm and hammer. I was saying that it suppose to get rid of the mice. I don't think that the A and H would repels the mice. Also, I learned this from storing my snowmobile. Put steel wool in the tail pipe, because mice can't chew through it.
Hey Zoomboy is your DE Gti a Jazz blue one? I love those cars!!!
Thanks
Justind

· Registered
1,002 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ZoomBoy »
My drivers edition was ginster yellow, I just sold it a few months ago.

The Arm and Hammer prevents any moisture in the cabin, always a good choice to throw it in there.

Nice car, what do you have now just the 86 jetta?
Thanks
Justind

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.