VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STRAIGHT PIPE??? WHY???

hey all, i just spent $120 for a new fabricated 3" strait pipe whihc replaces the cat that is on the car. i thought this would be a simple and easy way to bolt on some small gains on my car...MINUS THE BIG F*CKIN vibration!!!
see what i think is happeneing is the timing is off but i could be WAY OFF, i probably am. but see whats happening is when i turn on the car it has a very violent vibration coming from under the engine bay. my friend thinks its coming from the tranny? we're both not positive. but the funny thing is, is that the vibration is only constant when the car is at idle, accelorating through idle spped and 1900 rpm's, and the vibration is moderate when decelorating?
another real funny thing is that even though the vibration makes the engine seem like its going to blow it hasnt effected the engine in a negitive way one bit preformance wise. the pipe gave the car a huge gain in preformance. The clutch and engine run perfect. not a damn problem with it. just positive
I put the cat back on and the car us back to normal with no vibration.
has anyone here put on a strait pipe and had this happen. and if so do you know of any solutions? sorry if this didnt make a lot of sense but when someone dumbs as muchb money into their car like i have and baby their car like i do and this happens you tend to freak and want things to be normal again. i would like to get this thing goin and flowin! if anybody can help me it would be very appreciated! thanks guys!

Modified by Slapahoe at 2:52 PM 9-26-2004

Modified by Slapahoe at 3:12 PM 9-26-2004

Modified by Slapahoe at 5:22 PM 9-27-2004

Modified by Slapahoe at 9:56 AM 9-28-2004

Modified by Slapahoe at 4:44 PM 9-28-2004

Modified by Slapahoe at 6:21 PM 10-6-2004

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Re: (Slapahoe)

all I have to say is put it back on http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif After having my cat off for 1 year I damaged the exhaust valves
So on hot days the exhaust valves are a little on the tick tick side http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: (golfhm472)

i second that!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
but on a serious note, is the whole car shaking? or do u just hear a loud rumbling?
is the pipe attached properly? did u re-use all the stock hanger spots?
just throwing some ideas

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Re: (Habitual Linestepper)

Quote, originally posted by Habitual Linestepper »
look fizzool, thems pipes be on da lock down, we cheked dem ****s before we be installin dem.
god, can yo peeps read what imz sayins?

yesum, yur macing cents jo!

·
Registered
537 Posts
i did cat out to atmosphere, and that was sofa king loud, it was just dumb. maybe it would be quieter with a straight pipe and all mufflers. Maybe your pipe is just hte right size to resonate with the idle frequency? maybe you could try welding some kind of low restriction thing into the pipe to break up the waves or something.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
are you sure the 3" straight pipe isn't rubbing up against anything?
jack up the car, start it up, and get underneath it to see what the problem is...
OR get yourself a downpipe+cat combo (either 2.5" or 3") which will give you even more power plus you won't get a check engine light from not having a cat...

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I can't think of a good reason why you'd have a straight pipe anyway. Barely any gains. And you could lose torque. Put the cat back on and see if the problems go away.
JP

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: (fsuhorizon)

Quote, originally posted by fsuhorizon »
I can't think of a good reason why you'd have a straight pipe anyway. Barely any gains. And you could lose torque. Put the cat back on and see if the problems go away.
JP

psst...it's a 1.8T...less back pressure is good, makes spooling faster.
Back to the problem at hand....when you removed the cat...did that include a flex pipe also?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey all. you guys are throwing some awesome feedback so i just want to straiten some things out about my set-up.
I have a Greddy 3" down pipe with 3" piping all the way back to a resinator which dumps back into 3" piping whichs leads to a greddy muffler then to dual magnaflow tips.
the Strait pipe replaces that cat completly. if you notice, mine may be different but im not sure, but the cat it on it's own flanges. so the strait pipe just takes its place.
When i turn the car on, it makes the whole car vibrate, it sounds like it's hitting up against something but when i looked up under there and literally layed down under the pipe the vibration was coming from the bottom of the engine bay. almost as if it was coming from the tranny!?!?!
it was then when i tried to hammer back some heat sheilding and what not to see if it would solve the problem, but it didnt. so fu*ck.
Then, after all that mess i put the cat back on. when it was installed correctly, i started it up and everything was back to normal.
If i cant figure it out by next monday i am going to take it to my bud at VW and see if he can figure it out.
I was thinking that maybe because i have a 6lbs. flywheel it may be the case but i am not very sure at all.
Any other ideas fellas???
thanks for the feedback. does anybody accually have a strait pipe on their 1.8t with full exhaust and not have this problem or maybe have this problem slightly? thanks all!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and by the way. the small gains seem pretty worth it to me as long as they arent messing up my engine to bad. why would a strait pipe ruin my exhaust valves? less back pressure would make it seem like the exhuast would be coming out quicker which means it wouldnt be clogging or messing with anything. im all new to this vw stuff so i could be way off.
also...Second gears pulls really hard and my turbo spools up so much quicker now when it's installed. if i didnt have this problem i would recomend it to anybody who is looking to blow a hundred dollars.

Modified by Slapahoe at 5:34 PM 9-27-2004

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.