VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange prob. Lately, in the last several months, the skin on the pads (palm side) of my fingers has been peeling. I have had minor skin problems in the past, such as dandruff or minor contact rashes, and fingers wrinkle quickly in swimming pool, but never anything serious.
I did not have this prob until about the time I got my Passat with leather steering wheel. Before I had a Jetta with plastic wheel, no prob. My left hand gets especially d
ry and peels, and that is the hand that usually holds the wheel while driving. Of course the palms sweat when driving long periods, and left hand clutching the wheel.
I saw my dermatologist the other day for a checkup and asked. He said it was just dry skin or common eczema, and dismissed the possibility of the leather steering wheel. But I don't know - it seems like a big coincidence. I thought maybe it is an allergic reaction to the leather or chemicals in the leather - OR - maybe the leather just absorbs skin oils. It would be nice to find a culprit other than just sudden "bad skin".
Anybody shed some light on this? Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Strange Problem: skin peeling on hands - reaction to leather steering wheel? (Cooper)

Thanks. I actually have an arsenal of about 3 strongly-recommended hand moisturizers. One is Neutrogena Norweigan something-or-other. It's very thick, almost like a thickened vaseline. Another is Aquaphor, which is like the Neutrogena only thicker - best for nighttime. Those two my sister recommended (she is a dermatoligst in another city). The 3rd is BetaMide lotion, which was recommended by my local dermatoloigist and is special order from the pharmacy. It is much thinner, but the last dermatologist recommended because I think it has some kind of extra ingredient that exfoliates or something.
The frustrating thing is my hands are still drying and peeling in about 2 week cycles.
It never did this before the Passat, and began shortly after the Passat. Again, it is mostly on the left hand, which is my driving hand.

Well, if nothing else, this thread will evolve into a good source for skin lotion recommendations....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (vdubjb)

seriously or kidding? i thought maybe some kinda oil or fatty food would be good, but didnt think of bacon. certain fish maybe.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (SpeedPunk)

Hmmm..very interesting. Do you mean hand-wash type detergent, like you might put in a bucket and wash car with? How did you figure out what it was? How quickly did your hands return to normal?
I am skeptical, but am on about day 4 driving with a cheap fleece wheel cover. i dont like it, so if this doesnt help in 2 weeks im taking it off.
I cant think of anything else i use that would cause this, unless i simply have bad or chronically dry skin flare up for no reason. i rarely wash my hands except where really necessary, like taking shower.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: (FIN_WV)

I am the original owner, not sure when someone would have had the opportunity to clean the wheel. Even if a carwash had detailed it, I am skeptical the residue would still be there. BUt its a possibility.
I was kinda thinking maybe the leather, itself just dried animal skin, was "competing" with the oils in my hands, which already may be sensitive or prone to drying. Alternatively, i thought maybe as my hands perspire while holding the wheel it releases dying or curing agents that irritate my skin. But i am just an engineer, not a doctor
Still driving with the ugly fleece cover, gonna see what happens...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Re: (Maddave10)

I do notice it's exacerbated by the heavy knurling on gym weights. That stuff digs into your skin. Dunno if it's a cause, but something to consider...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.