VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: (Cooper)

Maybe this should be moved to VWVortex home doctor forum... wait a minute, there isn't one...
but seriously, you said after you got passat with leather steering wheel you got the probs, so maybe the steering wheel was cleaned with some product that is causing the problem, try to wipe the wheel with just water moistured towel to clean it out.
And as in general, you shouldn't use any cleaning product to the steering wheel but water to prevent it coming slippery.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: (FIN_WV)

I am the original owner, not sure when someone would have had the opportunity to clean the wheel. Even if a carwash had detailed it, I am skeptical the residue would still be there. BUt its a possibility.
I was kinda thinking maybe the leather, itself just dried animal skin, was "competing" with the oils in my hands, which already may be sensitive or prone to drying. Alternatively, i thought maybe as my hands perspire while holding the wheel it releases dying or curing agents that irritate my skin. But i am just an engineer, not a doctor
Still driving with the ugly fleece cover, gonna see what happens...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Re: (Towlie)

This is a tough one. I don't think that the wheel would be the source of your problem, but I cannot say for sure. Do you goto the gym?
I've had some skin issues this past winter, and bought some Eucerin lotion. It works brilliantly, with no odor or any dyes at all. I'd suggest trying that lotion for your hands.
I do goto the gym regularly, and my hands do peel once in a while. It might be from the gym, as all those barbells and machines are probably crawling with bacteria and the like.
Good luck bud...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Re: (Maddave10)

I do notice it's exacerbated by the heavy knurling on gym weights. That stuff digs into your skin. Dunno if it's a cause, but something to consider...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Allergy

hi Towlie,

Finally I find someone with the same problem as I have.
I have exactely what you describe. The only way to relief is to make the steerling wheel wet with water...

I had it with My second Audi A4, a Ford Focus and now with the Passat.
I didn't have with BMW3, BMW5 and Mercedes.

I am suffering also right now.

I made installing a cover in real leader without any traetment: it worked for the first two weeks but now.... the same.

I really don't know what to do...

If you find the solution please let me know.

Best
JC

·
Registered
17 Posts
This may be an old topic but it is an interesting one (for some of us anyway). I also have severe eczema on my hands and have wondered if it was caused by the leather steering wheel cover and/or manual shift knob in my car (Volvo V50 T5) or from abusing my hands with car chemicals over the years. The dermatologist did skin patch testing but it really didn't find anything. I do the ointments, soak hands in warm water, apply cortizone and cotton gloves at night before bed with little relief. I've done narrow-band UVB treatments, and currently taking Otezla. Otezla helps but the nausea might drive me to quit. The eczema does seem to get a little better when I am away from home and not driving but could be other things too.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.