VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Strange shaking while driving??????

764 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  VR6TUNER
I was driving today and all of the sudden my car started to shake real bad and pull to the right.. It felt exactly like running over a bunch of bumps or pot holes in the ground.. It happens on and off.. when it does start happening it happens more when I turn the wheel to the left..
I pulled the wheel off and checked my suspension and drive axle but everything seems nice and tight.. I don't understand what is causing this problem.. I drove it around for another hour after I checked it and it was fine..
Anyone have any ideas on what it is or what to check??? Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks in advanced..
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (VR6TUNER)

It sounds like your inner CV joints are dry, out of grease. What happens is they heat up and the bearing seize up causing the symptoms you are describing. Have them checked out and repacked w/grease and any ripped boots replaced. I might be wrong but I had the same issue with my wife's A2 Jetta last month.

thats what my car did right before the hub got stripped and my wheel fel off - ask josh campbell - also if you hear the sound coming from the right CHECK THE LEFT FRICKING SIDE....

it was weird... sound from right.... left wheel came off.
See less See more

Either CV joints or wheel bearings would be my guess. Jack it up and try to wiggle the wheel, if there is any play you have bad bearings. Also, pull on the CV and spin the wheel in neutral if you hearing any grinding or weird noises coming from the CV have them looked at. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
See less See more
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (late_apex)

ITS THE WHEEL - 600 bucks later. shiiit
naa, late_apex is right, it might be the bearings too... check them out.

[Modified by theflygtiguy, 4:55 PM 2-12-2002]
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (late_apex)

I did notice that I could wiggle the rotor and caliper side to side a tiny bit..
Wouldn't that be the tie rod end though?
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (theflygtiguy)

If it is the wheel bearings should I replace just the bearing or would it be easier to replace the whole axle with a used one??

i am not totally clear on this - but i think that a wheel bearing can only be used once - and thats after you punch it onto the hub... if you take it off after that, get a new one... they aren't that much $$
here - this is the kit i am installing right now.

you can get that one from http://www.germanautoparts.com

[Modified by theflygtiguy, 5:12 PM 2-12-2002]
See less See more
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (theflygtiguy)

Oh nevermind I was thinking of the CV joint.. the bearings are in the hub right?? Where the driveshaft slides in and bolts up??
So then the tie rod would not give me these kind of symptoms ???

My car is doing the same thing at 50k miles. Does not do it all the time.
However vibration can be felt at straight ahead position and seems to become more pronounced when steering wheel is turned from straight ahead to about 2 o'clock position. The vibration seems to become much less noticable if steering is turned to left. It is even noticable at very low speeds if you watch the steering wheel it almost makes a ratcheting motion (leave hands off wheel for for a few secs.) Took car to stealership
asked them to check cv joints they claimed joints were in good condition.
Interestingly, I have noticed that depending on the amout of weight in the rear of the car (eg. from a full tank of gas to an almost empty tank) the vibration severity changes, better to worse respectively. Somebody mentioned inner cv joints comment further on how to check these, what to look and listen for, also comment about the lack of grease
I have looked at the inner boots and see no splits or breaks in these. If you have any other suggestions to offer we would appreciate it. Thanks.
PS : Hub and lug nuts are secured properly
See less See more

my guess would be the cv joints too. recently replaced the passenger side because it started thumping/shaking when accelerating hard. after change out no more problem. wondering when the other side will go. got to expect that with hi miles.
if you're still in Orlando, Triangle has them rebuilt with the axle and all. makes it easier to change out.
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (golf strom)

quote:[HR][/HR]My car is doing the same thing at 50k miles. Does not do it all the time.
However vibration can be felt at straight ahead position and seems to become more pronounced when steering wheel is turned from straight ahead to about 2 o'clock position. The vibration seems to become much less noticable if steering is turned to left. It is even noticable at very low speeds if you watch the steering wheel it almost makes a ratcheting motion (leave hands off wheel for for a few secs.) Took car to stealership
asked them to check cv joints they claimed joints were in good condition.
Interestingly, I have noticed that depending on the amout of weight in the rear of the car (eg. from a full tank of gas to an almost empty tank) the vibration severity changes, better to worse respectively. Somebody mentioned inner cv joints comment further on how to check these, what to look and listen for, also comment about the lack of grease
I have looked at the inner boots and see no splits or breaks in these. If you have any other suggestions to offer we would appreciate it. Thanks.
PS : Hub and lug nuts are secured properly
[HR][/HR]​
Squeeze the boots and feel for grease. All you have to do is remove the clamps on the boots and fill them with grease by squrting the grease in until you feel the boot to expand with all that sweet grease.
See less See more
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (Fast16v)

Then, when your done, put some leftover grease on the inside of an enemy's door handle. He'll get that black ish all over him and the inside of his car. Molybdenum Sulfide is nasty stuff...
See less See more
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (Firestarter)

how hard is it to replace a torn boot and put grease in there? can I do it with jack stands and normal tools?
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (igneousGOlF)

quote:[HR][/HR]how hard is it to replace a torn boot and put grease in there? can I do it with jack stands and normal tools?[HR][/HR]​
Nope. You will need a 30mm socket to remove the hub and 12pt torx-like sockets to remove the drive axels. Once they are removed you can get to work on the boot. I would replace the whole set up. For like 100billls you can get a complete set-up w/cv and boots. Its not a hard job at all. It just takes some time that all.
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (Fast16v)

yeah, I was considering doing that as well, any suggestions on a good place to get the whole setup for a good price? They are all just remanufactured right?
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (fundub)

Ok guys the problem is getting worst and Sunday is coming up pretty quick.. Now my car jerks everytime I hit the gas or let go.. If I stop the car and turn the wheel all the way to the right i can feel something is not right.. but I can force it back into place and then the car drives fine for a few more miles.. then its back to the same old jerking..
fundub: thanks for the good info about triangle because I was wondering where I can get some rebuilt axles around town.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
See less See more
Re: Strange shaking while driving?????? (fundub)

Found the problem.. It was the driver side outter CV joint..
Got a remanufactured axle with both CV joints for the driver side for only $69..
Ready to swap them out tomorrow.. and then I will be ready to roll to the 1552 show..
See less See more
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.