VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find my post from before...but anyways... I remember one of you saying heli-coil worked for you. Now my question is...how and what steps to I take? I figured I'd just tap out the hole, heli-coil the right threads, and place a new headbolt in? This is without pullin the head. The kid wants his car tomarrow, so not to rush anyone but help me quickly!!

BTW..what size and etc of tools do I need for this?
Thanx in advance...

·
Registered
20,312 Posts
Re: Stripped 1.6 Block threads...Heli-Coil or not? (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

I'd seriously question a heli-coiled head bolt. No experience w/ them but I sure don't think I'd want to do it.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts

one of my cam cap studs thingys needed to be heli-coiled when I had my head gone over, wouldn't torque down. I have about 3k miles on the head since and all is well...knock on wood. I think if it's done right it should be solid.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

I'm the one who did it (damn I wish search was working). I would recommend it. Drill out the holes to the required diameter (the new kit will tell you what to buy, I forget), be careful to hold the drill perpendicular and steady. Tap the new hole with the required tap, install helicoil, with loctite to keep it steady. Done. Threads stronger than factory. I have 15K+ on two helicoiled bolts with zero troubles and lotsa redline action.
AFA those jokers who said JB Weld...don't even think about it. Pure hacksmanship, it won't work, and you'll feel dumb for trying (and then telling anyone).

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Stripped 1.6 Block threads...Heli-Coil or not? (Ron P)

One problem as of now. Water was in the hole. When I pulled the hose, it drained out of the hole. Can this be a cracked block, with a crack on the threads, making it spread out when I tighten it down? FOr reference it's the firewall side bolt in the middle. Hope this is normal, but I'm pretty sure it's not

·
Registered
20,312 Posts

AFAIK, Rabbit head bolts don't go into the water jackets. If you got water out of the bolt hole when you removed the bolt, there's a 99%+ chance that the block is cracked at that bolt hole.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Stripped 1.6 Block threads...Heli-Coil or not? (at4gli)

well...I just put the bolt in with tons of JB weld. I'll give him the option of me installing my 1.8 out of my GTI for an extra $300. We'll see. It was running fine..just a bit leaky. I'll cross my fingers it patches it up for a few weeks. THanx for the info...

·
Registered
1961 Beetle, 2019 e-Golf
991 Posts

I think the heli-coil is a no-go with the head still on. I don't think that the larger tools, drill bit, tap, etc, will fit down the hole in the head, especially the insert with the new coil/threads on it.

If it does... I stand corrected.

[Modified by BreenMachine, 6:56 PM 8-5-2002]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.