VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brake shop i went to had some sort of issue apparently with one of the bolts on my left rear wheel... like they stripped the threads off both so bad it won't go back in and i'm currently rocking 4 bolts
what do i do to fix this?

· Registered
6,456 Posts
Re: stripped wheel nut and hub hole (Jeff'sGTIAWW)

If the threads in the hub are damaged, you'll need to replace it. I'm pretty sure that on your car you can simply change the rotor and there will be new threads, but i'm not 100% sure. If it was the brake place's fault, take it back and make them fix it. If the threads in the hub are bad, replacement is the only safe option. Make sure it's not simply a stripped lug bolt first, this could turn out to be a $1 fix.

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: stripped wheel nut and hub hole (Afazz)

yea. the brake place did the work along time ago and i just now removed the wheel for the first time during my suspension install, so i'm positive they will deny it. I just needed to know what parts to get off potterman's to get it up and running again.
Its an MKIV also, if that helps identify what parts need replacing.

Modified by Jeff'sGTIAWW at 7:56 PM 1-15-2004

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

wow. wheel hub only comes w/ the bearing already pressed in and it is $93 on VWparts.com
Anybody have some ideas as to how i should deal with this? how long can i run 4 bolts and is there another option besides replacing the whole hub/bearing?

· Registered
6,456 Posts

So you've been driving on 4 lugs for a few months?? And the brake place only put 4 on and said it was good?? If that's the case, you definately need to go back there and flip out. That's not something that a shop should do. If they crossthreaded the nut in that's a different story, but you should definately go back in either case. It would help if you have a reciept or something, but it's still worth a shot even if you don't have one.

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: stripped wheel nut and hub hole (Afazz)

no, no. I had the work done like 2 months ago and when i left the wheel had all 5 lugs in. For these 2 months i had no idea there was any problem w/ striping or loose lugs or anything. Then i go to my buddies house to install my new suspension and take of my wheels... no problem. Then when we are trying to hand tighten the left rear wheel before we impact it, we realized that one lug had the crap stripped out of it... like 2 threads just missing. We found the hole this had been shoved into and realized it was pretty much f'd. So we put in the 4 that worked and just left the stripped lug and torn up hole alone. I've only been on 4 lugs for 2 days.

Modified by Jeff'sGTIAWW at 11:46 PM 1-15-2004

· Registered
252 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

just use a torgue wrench!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
mechanic always use air tools

Modified by veeDUBh20 at 8:42 PM 1-15-2004

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: stripped wheel nut and hub hole (veeDUBh20)

whoa.... so many faces, i may be having a seizure while i type this, so if i don't understand what you mean, i'm sorry..... but we did tighten the one that was difficult w/ a torque wrench and it still wouldn't go. I don't know if you mean the air tool at the brake shop messed it up, or we can't get it to work because we are using air tools. I know its not working though, and all i want is a suggestion of any alternatives to replacing the whole hub for $94. Can we tap the hole... anything?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.