VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just a bit confused
!!!!
I order a set of Weitec TX coilovers and lots of ppl on 'tex are saying you should change the Strut Bearing while you're installed a new set of coilovers...
I've a Bently manual.. and i'm looking at the front suspension strut assembly, and there nothing listed as "strut bearing" does anyone knwo what's it called in the manual ?
Below are parts that are listed in the manual that something close(?):
1.Stop plate
2.suspension strut mount, upper
3.Axial ball bearing
4.buffer stop
Thanks !

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: Strut Bearing is.... ??? plz help ! (Kcb)

The strut assembly should go something like this (from the top):
*above the strut tower*
1. Top strut nut (visible with the hood open)
2. Top strut hat (visible with the hood open)
*below the strut tower*
3. Strut bearing retaining nut
4. Strut mount (large bushing)
5. Strut bearing
6. Upper Spring hat
7. Dust boot
8. Springs
Here is a lame picture. Just keep in mind that the labeled "Strut Nut" should be above the "Strut Mount" in the picture... NOT below it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Strut Bearing is.... ??? plz help ! (euro sport)

Thanks for the reply, but it shows something from the bently.. have't taken apart my suspension yet... but that's why I want to find out before i take it apart...
So i guess The Axial ball bearing is what i'm looking to change!
Does $85 cdn with tax sounds right for a pair ? Don't want to get the wrong replacement...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: Strut Bearing is.... ??? plz help ! (Kcb)

$85cdn probably includes the whole kit (bearing and strut mount). The strut mount does not really need to be replaced, so you should just ask for the bearings themselves. My local dealer sells them for $10usd each.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

Dude... I just realized you have a 2000 Golf. You probably don't really need to change them anyways. If you plan to do the struts yourself, you will see how easy it is to remove the fronts and disassemble.
If I were you, I would leave the original strut bearings in place and buy a set when you put enough miles on them down the road. Swapping strut bearings will take you 1 hour tops.
Just do an inspection of them when you pull your suspension off. Make sure they spin freely and feel smooth. If that is the case, you should be good to go! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks alot for the tip, wasn't sure on the life of the bearings...
damm.. i guess $16uds means that guy the the dealer is giving me the wrong part.. glad i didn't buy it... what is Pottermans' website ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.