VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is some play in my front passenger side wheel and it is coming from the strut bearing.
on the gorund the strut bearing is sitting up a good half inch from where it should be.
with the car jacked up there is a significant amoint of movement in the hweel buy jsut moving thre strut bearing around.
now there is the 22mm nut and the 6mm allen in side of it. which one do i tighten and how?
i tried tightening it with a socekt held by vise grips and an allen through the socket but nothing would budge.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Re: strut bearing problem (T34418L31)

You don't tighten anything. You need new strut bearings. They are fairly cheap,and easy to put on.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Re: strut bearing problem (T34418L31)

Maybe the PO wasn't able to hold the strut shaft tightly enough to get the nut tightened all the way down. what I did was to grind 2 flats onto a 1/2" drive socket that fit the nut. (22mm on my after market susp.) then I put a crescent wrench on the socket to turn it, and put an allen wrench down in the socket hole to hold the strut shaft from turning.
Or you could just buy the tool for it...
Another possibility is that it was assembled wrong, or the parts used were for another car.
one last thing. the nuts used to hold the front strut assembly together, before you put it into the car, need to be the thin jam nut type that were on there before. If you use a tall nylock style nut, you won't be able to get the top nut torqued down as far, leaving a larger gap.

Modified by NoCYet at 8:13 PM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Re: strut bearing problem (NoCYet)

Get the 24/22mm combo wrench and shave off the edges alittle so it can go into the collar, then with the 6mm allen socket and wrachet tighten that mofo up good.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: strut bearing problem (1967ghia)

Why not just use an offset box wrench and an alan socket? That worked fine for separating the spring from strut on my Scirocco...not like the macpherson strut design has changed any in 1000 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts